EA-81 + Weber carb.

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by Jelen, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

Hi all, I'm going to buy and install this kit:
    [​IMG]
    to my engine. Is something, that I should be careful on? Has engine better performance with this carb? i also need to know, what is height of whole assembly, because I have only 22cm from original air intake manifold to the hood. I have no nerves with original hitachi carburetor, needle valve from float start leaking, and no repair kit is in any shop here. I think they stop making it. So Weber will be perfect solution for me and my plane. What do you think? Is here someone who has this kit on his engine?

2. Jan 20, 2016 #2

StarJar

StarJar

StarJar

I guess no one has tried it. Please report back with how it worked. I suppose one of those could fit on top of a vw.

3. Jan 20, 2016 #3

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Used many of these DGV type Weber carbs eons ago on 1600-2400cc engines. Simple and dependable. I would guess from memory they are around 11 to 12.5 cm tall.

4. Jan 20, 2016 #4

gearhead

gearhead

gearhead

Rockauto.com has Standard Motor Products overhaul kit for the Hitachi carb at $28.79 + $10.93 post to Prague.

5. Jan 20, 2016 #5

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

I will report back, right after instalation and first flights. :)
    Gearhead, thanks, I will check it, but I think weber will be better, than hitachi, because of simplicity.
    Thanks for your preceptions. :)

6. Jan 20, 2016 #6

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Not sure what you think the advantages will be.

The main issue with an EA81 is the inlet manifold and restrictive siamesed intake port.

7. Jan 20, 2016 #7

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

I think advantage will be new unit, with no excessive clearances and I hope better airflow through carb.

What's wrong with the inlet manifold? I have bigger manifold from EA-82, late EA-81 were equipped with bigger manifold for european market.
    Btw what does "siamesed" means? English isn't my native language, and I can't find this word in vocabulary. Only explanation I found was about siamese cat, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any cat on engine. :)

8. Jan 20, 2016 #8

Kiwi303

Kiwi303

Kiwi303

Siamesed means joined.

Try "Siamese Twins" in google.

Siamesed inlets means two inlets sharing one runner, when it reaches the head, it splits into two inlets in the head casting to reach the valves.

Like a modern DOHC with a single runner feeding two valves on the cylinder. But instead the EA81 has one runner on each side feeding two valves, on separate cylinders.

9. Jan 20, 2016 #9

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

Oh thank you, I got it now. But this issue can't be solved without any major construction change. But I'm satisfied with EA-81 power, I'm comfortable with this engine.

10. Jan 20, 2016 #10

Dana

Dana

Dana

This probably doesn't help, but a friend of mine is putting a Subaru in an Airdale, and he mentioned the other day that he's using a Ford Pinto carburetor... which is a copy of the Weber... so you're not the only one. He hasn't run it yet.

The Fiat Spiders I used to drive had the same carburetor, too. As Ross said, they're simple and dependable.

Dana

11. Jan 20, 2016 #11

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

Thanks for remark, Dana, I will write the resault. I only thinking about attitude of carb. Because my plane is taildragger, carburetor is still tilted to one side. (if you look on picture, lower side is that one with choke control solenoid (or what is it), btw I'm going to order carb with manual choke, but it's not important. So on ground, carb will be tilted to this side, also in flight will be carb tilted to this side, but not so much. Is it problem? Because it will be problem to change carb. attitude.

12. Jan 20, 2016 #12

Dana

Dana

Dana

Once you're in the air in level flight the carburetor should be level, no?

Dana

13. Jan 21, 2016 #13

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

No it's not. In level flight is carb few degrees tilted. But not so much.

14. Jan 21, 2016 #14

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

No it's not. In level flight is carb few degrees tilted. But not so much. But there wasn't problem, I hope webdr can handle it. :)

15. Jan 21, 2016 #15

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Well, you can drive your car up a 20 degree hill and it runs ok. 30 or 40 degrees and you'll have problems with a float type carb though.

Jelen likes this.
  16. Mar 9, 2016 #16

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

Well, carb finally arrived from the U.S. and I replaced it. I'm little bit worried about angle, but if it will work without any additional works, it will be perfect. Aircraft sits on tailwheel. Everything is connected without any modifications, kit fits perfectly. I didn't made any engine running, because of bad weather. Few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mar 9, 2016 #17

Kiwi303

Kiwi303

Kiwi303

those weber type carbs have been used on lots of 4cyl small utes around the antipodes here, both real weber and licenced/knockoffs. They do fine at some pretty strange angles on 4wd trips, I don't see any problem at the angle in your pics. Besides, I'm guessing it's straighter when the tail is up and you are flying level?

Jelen likes this.
  18. Mar 10, 2016 #18

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

Yes, it is straighter in level flight. Old carb has same position and worked also. Thanks for your calm words. Maybe tomorrow I will try it in flight.

rv6ejguy likes this.
  19. May 1, 2016 #19

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

Hello guys & gals, this carb is installed for a while and it also flew few hours and I can say only wow.
    Engine is calm, strong and fuel consumption is also little bit better. Strenght wasn't increased rapidly, but I can feel it's better. We don't have any problem with running in any positions - climb, level flight and descent. Everything is perfect, and I can recommend this thing. I must buy another one for my other plane, but sadly it's little bit expensive, with post and duty to EU... Maybe next year :)

delta likes this.
  20. May 14, 2016 #20

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Ross (user rv6ejguy on this forum) is making aircraft fuel injection systems for Subaru engines. It might be wise to compare the price, weight and fuel savings between the Weber carburator and a fuel injection system.

I heard a lot of good stuff about the Stratus-Subaru EA-81 engine core and bad stuff about the carbs and electric installations (probably due to inproper maintenance). Most of the pilots who have them in an aircraft opt for their next aircraft to have a Rotax instead. So maybe a reliable fuel injection system might be a good solution for the future if one intends to fly more. Rotax is also going the fuel injection way, so it is definitely worth considering.

Is there a website with Stratus/Subaru EA-81 engine installation and maintenance tips or advice? I see quite a few of them listed on ads, or aircraft on sale with these engines. Why are people not much into buying these engines? Is it the mass (apparently it is around 115kg heavy with all installations), the power, the maintenance, what is the reason people try to get rid of them?

Jelen likes this.