CriCri MC-15 in NZ

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

proppastie

Log Member
Pitts perhaps the ultimate in sensitive. ....I am afraid to fly one. If that is the standard of skill you need get more than "some time ".

TFF

Finger touch planes are easier to fly after you get over death grip is not necessary. It’s not a wrestling match. Something like a Champ is a fun wrestling partner. Won’t hurt your feelings real bad but will make fun of you. The more sensitive planes are just disappointed you can’t get it right. They give more of a face palm, telling you that you have it all and your performance sucks until you get it. Because of the size and low to the ground, the CriCri will probably feel really fast trying to land, even if it’s not really. A Grumman AA1 would be a good stepping stone. The Cub and Champ are good too, but they are teaching persistence and keeping in the fight. No giving up allowed.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
We didn't use the trim at all when doing circuits in the Cub, Stick forces aren't all that high if you know what to expect. The trim 'Wheel" is also somewhat awkward to get to, being right down beside the front seat.
Having owned a cub I know the awkwardness of the trim wheel, even more imperative to learn to use it especially while you have competent help in cockpit.

TFF

I have flown RC for a long time and I bet the first time you fly your Cri Cri you will be looking for the duel rate switch and cranking up the expo. Even then once you settle down, you will get use to it.

1Bad88

Because of the size and low to the ground, the CriCri will probably feel really fast trying to land, even if it’s not really.
Good point on being low to the ground. A few glider flights may help the OP to get used to the appropriate height for the flare.

proppastie

Log Member
PIO (pilot induced oscillation) is very dangerous.....and at least in my MM1 (which I never mastered and crashed on my first flight) NOT carrying power on the approach and then pulling power when you want to flair was a big mistake ....of course being too slow did not help either....certainly do not want to be too slow....while I am a poor choice for advice as regards hot homebuilts ....might want to drive it onto the runway and pull the power....it will NOT be like a trainer airplane (Cub...Cherokee C-150) get lots of time in a Pitts and do not be too slow.

Last edited:

Battler Britton

If you want to feel a little more confortable flying the Cricri...

start training with a BD5....:rolleyes:😅

joking, of course...

I had , of course, to fly solo my small racer, when I bought it...
well, what a big surprise, with this so small plane...( kind of wood built Cassut..)
so triky...sensitive like a young lady..
but,
this thing prouve to fly better when you don't touch it so much...:oops:

Fly one meter high..one hendred meter long, a few time
then again the next half day ..
after what, it is a very normal plane, (a very good one) when in the air.. just don't over pilot it.
Choose absolutly a no wind day, early on the morning, minimum people on the airfield, one or two mates for security..not so more...no pressure.
you feel it...do it...
you do not... wait an other day. No mission.

the day of the solo...149.jpg

Jim_MC15

The XL is only a 4' x 4' machine. You really need a 4' x 8' machine to cut out all the skin parts for the CriCri that are all over 4' in one direction or the other. You can index the parts and cut and move them but I wouldn't recommend that.

Mayank

The XL is only a 4' x 4' machine. You really need a 4' x 8' machine to cut out all the skin parts for the CriCri that are all over 4' in one direction or the other. You can index the parts and cut and move them but I wouldn't recommend that.
Can you recommend a good cnc for this purpose?