Cool New Canard Designs

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

canardlover

Great looking aircraft!

The photos of people sitting in it at SnF show some sort of a seam or join line. looks like a raised ridge, on the side of the fuselage. I'm hoping that raised ridge is not going to be there permanently???

I'm glad that you are getting good press coverage on this project, congratulations. As with any public relations effort, just don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially the basket mentioned in post 110 above. There's some history with one of the folks involved (that you may not know about, but should become familiar with if you're going to be in the kitplane industry).

We're frequently asked by the moderators to avoid discussing those details on this forum, for good reason, and I'll leave it at that.
VB

That protruding flange you see does not stay there. It would normally be 1 inch wide and is left there as a stiffener to prevent pillowing of the .050" thick carbon shell between temporary clecos/pop rivets employed when bonding upper fuselage shell to lower shell joggled bonding flange. Once adhesive is cured clecos/rivets are removed and it is trimmed away flush and seam faired. I didnt want to fully remove it in this case until this prototype fuselage is assembled , so trimmed it to bare minimum to still provide some contour control when bonding the upper and lower shells together in the not too distant future. Tricks learned/imagined from being a pro builder and accomplished modeler and incorporating ideas to help less experienced builders achieve better results when doing something like this for the first time. Trying my best to " idiot proof" the construction exercise as much as possible and enable first time builders a better chance at completing an admirable end result. You have no idea how many times I have had to explain the protruding web to people thinking/asking if it is some type of aero device ,LOL. Lots of tricks employed in this exercise to help builders achieve faster and better results. Hoping for a more consistent quality level amongst the fleet as compared to the disparity we see in the EZ/ moldless construction types we see at Osh or SNF.

Jeff

Last edited:

canardlover

You underestimate me ...

BJC
Changed terminology in post above to " Fool Proof" . I would never want someone as nice as you , Byron, to think I opened up the opportunity to possibly allow one to categorize themselves as an I**ot. Not that I am now suggesting you may be a fool, mind you. Having been a "Pro" builder, many cases completing already started projects, in a past life, I can say some of my customers were definitely foolish to think they were up to the task of building an airplane or maybe even a USPS parcel box for that matter. :)