Quantcast

Cleveland wheels and brakes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jgnunn

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Wish I had the money for them right now. I'd really like to swap out the old Goodyear "rattletraps" I have on my plane.

Dan Thomas

I just checked Aircraft Spruce's website. It appear that Clevelands have gone way up in price since I last bought a set. US$1749 now, as opposed to the CDN$1100 (about US$ 1000 then) I paid maybe three years ago. Scott did the same to their tailwheel prices some time back, from $700 or so to $1700 and then, I think, over $3000 now. Alaska Bushwheels makes a PMA'd clone for $975. Alaskan Bushwheel Tundra Tires
Wish they'd make some PMA'd mainwheels and brakes.

Dan

vortilon

Turning the Clevland discs on a lathe is not allowed. Not enough thickness.

They need stripping and painting as I can see bare mag on the bead area. Are the bearings any good? Any cracks? they do crack. I suggest a good cleaning and diassembly with more pictures of individual parts pull the pistons out of the bore and the discs off the wheels and lets see the races.

A good buy if servicable. Not so good if they are not.

Sorry for the spanish inquisition but I have been bit before. Be nice to see a clearer picture and something other than dunno. We can get Grove wheels and brakes $889 new.

Grove Aircraft Company

jgnunn

Update:

Reduced to $400 firm: The brake discs need replacing.

I can get a better pic this weekend, if requested.

I also have the brake pipes that travel up the legs (Skybolt standard shorter gear) that I will throw in the box.

Vort: While I appreciate your concerns of buying secondhand, secondhand stuff will always have that element of uncertainty tied to it, no matter what.

I am selling Clevelands, not Groves.

Sounds to me you'd be better off buying new Groves for peace of mind since 'new' comes with a warranty.

As far as 'dunno' not being clear enough, well..I really didn't know (if the discs were retrievable or not, now I do know they're not).

Dan Thomas

(if the discs were retrievable or not, now I do know they're not).
They're probably worn out. The discs for a 172, say, are minimum .190" thick and about .230" new. Being grooved doesn't mean worn out, though. The semi-metallic linings tend to cut the discs up when bozos ride the brakes while carrying too much power in the taxi.

Dan