Christen Eagle paint job

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The road-sign stuff is much thicker and more dense. The stuff they wrap vehicles in is quite thin. It's the only way they can get it to conform to the curves of the vehicle.

Turd Ferguson

Oops, I didn't mean to go down the "which is heavier--a pound of feathers or pound of bricks" road. I'm going to take a guess and say a cubic ft of vinyl decal material (100% density) all weighs the same whether it be destined for a road sign or double pinstripes on a 1974 Pinto. If wrap vinyl is 3 mils thick then it should have a wt per sq yard and however much is used could be weighed and compared to paint. I'm sure vinyl wrap people could estimate close enough. Then if the wrap did end up being heavier, how much extra wt would someone accept before crying uncle? If it's lighter, there is no argument!

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Oops, I didn't mean to go down the "which is heavier--a pound of feathers or pound of bricks" road. I'm going to take a guess and say a cubic ft of vinyl decal material (100% density) all weighs the same whether it be destined for a road sign or double pinstripes on a 1974 Pinto. If wrap vinyl is 3 mils thick then it should have a wt per sq yard and however much is used could be weighed and compared to paint. I'm sure vinyl wrap people could estimate close enough. Then if the wrap did end up being heavier, how much extra wt would someone accept before crying uncle? If it's lighter, there is no argument!
Not really. I have two strips of road signs material wrap on my service truck. It's so heavy and thick they almost gave up on my request. The road sign vinyl on my truck is easily much heavier than the regular stuff.

Not that it matters, but he's right, it's heavy.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Turd. Here's a photo of the corner of my truck. The yellow stuff is 3M road sign material. It's crazy heavy stuff. The other you see is regular 3M vinyl wrap I had them cut out like stickers.
20161205_212912.jpg

Tiger Tim

What concerns me is that a fabric wing has all kinds of lumps and bumps from the rib stitching and how hard would it be to get the vinyl to conform to those? On a Red Bull racer with a smooth carbon wing, sure, but fabric?
I know of a couple biplanes with vinyl roundels where you can actually see the texture of the fabric's weave in the surface of the vinyl. Really my biggest complaint is that up close it looks too good. I would just use a company and product that already has a good track record.

Kevin N

From a spectator view of the vinyl wrap I guess its different strokes for different folks but for the real deal when comes to an Eagle only polyurethane will make it look right. I'm sure I raised eyebrows on the biplane forum when I wrote that I was tired of looking at Eagles and their "unique" paint in about 1978.

Rockiedog2

Yeah, same here they all look alike. Hohum...

but I guess it's something of a serious(expensive) airplane and maybe the Eagle folks(buyers) expect it to have that paint, huh? And that seems to me to further the case for the no vinyl/all aerothane paint job

I'm glad I'm good with cheap, ratty airplanes. And actually like patches. Character. An Eagle with a patch...terrible!

Kevin N

If I had an Eagle Joe I would want it to be ratty and patched up so I could hang around with you. Being part of the unwashed has been my whole aviation life. No need to get a shiny airplane now, I would only be fooling myself.

TFF

I said on another forum that it is sad the plane is tied to the paint. Lots of 1980 covered planes that the value is dying because of original covering. Too cheap to spend the money on covering and paint. Where if any other biplane it would add value just for fresh covering and a premium could be put on "rare" feathers job.