Cheap EFIS finally coming.

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by autoreply, Aug 27, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 26, 2014 #21

kangus

kangus

kangus

Checkout http://da2a.com/Visual Information Display.svg it can have 9 -(L3~L10) 20 segment LED displays, bright sun light readable and fits in a 2.25 space. I looked at using 2" to 7" displays but they are hard to read unless you spend big bucks ($180~$500). This works and you can zoom so the display shows 5 degree per led segment, CHT, EGT, Flaps, Trim, oil pressure, oil temperature, turbo pressure, turbo intake temperature, fuel, voltage. This version is runs AirCan, CAN buss software, the next version will have Ethernet, Bluetooth and AirCan. What I wanted was to pair my phone with my plane, listen to my music and if interrupted by the radio squelch the phone while I work the radio and alert me with audio if something goes out of bounds.
    I looked at the EMS units at Aircraft Spruce, my plane cost less.

2. Aug 26, 2014 #22

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

just going out so don't have time to read every post but have read the first page...sorry if i repeat anything already said.

Sensors these days are not the problem. they are cheaper than peanuts...literally! you have to remember that when you need an airspeed indicator you're not buying an airspeed sensor, you're buying a pressure sensor. it's your controller (could be as simple as an arduino, raspberry pi or a laptop) that converts that signal into something you understand. most off the shelf controllers these days have D to A converters built in (and A to D for that matter). a decent GPS module might be slightly more expensive ($5-20). electronic components are literally so cheap these days, if you have the know, these systems are very very cheap. The money comes when you start putting your time into the software to run it all. (but the hardware is cheap).
    Theres also lots of generic LCD's (hitachi HD44780...used in everything from your printer at home to your fancy washing machine etc etc) and they can be easily connected to such controllers to display your sensor's output.

I'm looking forward to start playing with some of this open source stuff, and seeing what i can come up with. I plan on using all my own avionics in my build. As i've mentioned before...the real beauty of having an electronic system like this that knows all the stats regarding your airplane in realtime, is that you can add things to it cheaply without adding much more weight...autopilot, stall warning, always keep your fuel mixture at optimum, add strain gauges to critical structures to monitor them, or add a nice receiver and turn your full size homebuilt into a drone (could have its uses in flight testing), or even send your flight data to your home computer for later analysis, to name a few! the only hurdle in my mind is redundancy. so this system essentially needs to all be doubled up. I will log my progress in due course :)

3. Aug 27, 2014 #23

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Have you guys seen this? AHRS, weather, navigation, traffic, etc. fed to your iPad or Android. Doesn't do engine monitoring or autopilot functions but it doesn't seem like a stretch given the work we're seeing at Delft.

Levil Aviation

Also, can't you already use a tablet as the display with MGL systems?

4. Aug 27, 2014 #24

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

5. Sep 14, 2014 #25

kangus

kangus

kangus

It's been decided: Ethernet
    ARINC and CAN have bandwidth limit and congestion issues, moving to Ethernet removes these. CAT7 STP cabling and connectors are here, the current PHY Ethernet transceivers support 100base-T for $3 and 10gbase-T for $49. For a Freescale ARM MPU data collector with MAC $4.16 or $1.60 with a $3.16 external PHY/MAC transceiver. One device for engine sensors, one for GPS/WAAS (all four), one for AHRS sensors and the main controller: MCIMX6Q6AVT10AC ($63) a quad core ARM device driving a 10 inch display. A huge cost savings in wiring: Power, Ground + Dual CAT7 STP LSZH cables ran to each area where processors control/monitor devices.
    I just finished rewiring my plane, many hours or labor and the cost of crimp terminal and junction terminals + wire and wire markers would have paid for an Ethernet setup. It's over $52 for 100 crimp terminal (16-14/10) now days (real copper terminals NOT the plated IRON crap)!

FYI: You can purchase an optically coupled relay board with 8 20 amp 12 volt relays for $7.

6. Nov 2, 2014 #26

Timstertimster

Timstertimster

Timstertimster

I think it should run on raspberry pi.

7. Nov 2, 2014 #27

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The mechanical implementation of the inline actuators in this paper is genius. Thanks for sharing.

I agree that this stuff should be arduino or single board andriod nodes. One big I/O box with a ton of ports to plug in any manner of off the shelf sensors using some sort of off the shelf network cabling strategy. CAN is nice because it is all figured out but not approachable for the normal human hobbyist. A CAT5 cable running next to a power cable daisy chained is for all intents and purposes the same thing and all open source and growing like crazy. The programming languages are all wide open and very approachable. Many electronics testing applications are using these sorts of strategies with steppers.

8. Nov 2, 2014 #28

TFF

TFF

TFF

A local guy built an uncoupled autopilot out of an electric RC helicopter 2 axis gyro. More of a leveler. It is a Fisher like 2 seater, but has Tailwind wing tips. Trailing edge of the wing tips have a mini aileron driven by a RC servo; even covered in Monokote. Elevator had a servo tab. main controls can overpower without too much difficulty and turn power off and they will streamline. He calls it a Home Depot plane as it has lots of HD wood in it.

9. Nov 2, 2014 #29

Pops

Pops

Pops

I built a homemade autopilot for my little single seat Cub and used it for almost 2 years. Got tired of the autopilot having all the fun and took it out. Also used giant scale Model Airplane Servos to run trim tabs large enough to control the airplane but small enough to over control with the aircraft controls. Roll with standard rate of turn and pitch with electric trim on both. Since my autopilot made the standard pulse train to operate the servos, I could have plugged the RC receiver into the autopilot and sat in the cockpit seat and flew the aircraft with the RC transmitter controls but never did. Fly by wire. :)

Dan

akwrencher likes this.
  10. Jul 29, 2016 #30

ninelima

ninelima

ninelima

image003.jpg

I have been working on something for the standard Android devices. I named it kwik EFIS.

The results are very dependent on the device used though. Quad Core devices with suitable sensors like the Nexus 7 work OK. Also tested om om some of the later model Samsung devices.

For more information and details on how to install the app, see:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ninelima/efis/index.html

Algoa likes this.
  11. Jan 8, 2019 #31

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Just bringing out some history to reflect on considering recent threads on subject.

BJC likes this.
  12. Jan 8, 2019 #32

dino

dino

dino

The black and white version of this one is free: http://a-efis.com/

Excellent performance so far except for the magnetic heading display. I use GPS derived course instead. With my iphone6s displays pressure altitude and VSI.

13. Jan 23, 2019 #33

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Some of the newer ADSB models have ADHRS built in, including pitot & static ports. They will display on android phones & tablets. Around $1500.

The Stratux (note the x; not s) can be purchased on Amazon for ~$250, and has GPS+AHRS (no air data) built in. Again, displays on android.

Charlie

14. Jun 19, 2019 #34

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

To bring this back to the front, If I were to develop an EFIS system with the simple resources available today that were not available when this thread started,
    I would build on a Raspberry Pi 3B using essentially all the sensors developed for the Stratux. probably leave out the receivers for the ADSB system and then add in two pressure sensors, one absolute for altitude and a differential sensor for airspeed.
    Since this board has HDMI out I would select from the simple full color displays available in many sizes with or without touchscreen.

The Stratux has the AHRS module with it's 3 axis motion sensors. Very good choice of GPS receivers and with the addition of the pressure sensors and a properly written code you can display both airspeed and ground speed, with a code written the system can then provide real time wind conditions.
    Since the GPS offers altitude, this with the pressure sensor can provide a relative density.
    Add in a temp sensor to display the OAT.
    Much more can be developed from this base.

To me the idea I offer here would be one of the most compact stable display systems available. It has no need to write code to interface to any other device such as a Droid or other phone/tablet that will be out of style in two months.
    The Raspberry is stable and open source and offers ten fold the ability of an Arduino in both processing and output to displays.
    No reason the ADSB can not be layered on top as well but my thought would be to develop a true honest reliable flight display system.

15. Jun 19, 2019 #35

BJC

BJC

BJC

What do you estimate the cost of such a system to be?

BJC

16. Jun 19, 2019 #36

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

The Raspberry with AHRS and a GPS receiver is about $80ish, obviously needs a power supply and such.
    The 7 to 10" displays are $30 to 100 with allot of variation from there.
    The two Motorola pressure sensors are small money, I do not know what is needed to output them into the Raspberry, I expect the signal needs to be conditioned. Maybe they just need some simple filtering and connect into the two rows of pins along with the AHRS board.

Working unit for $200ish with a 10" display, variations available from there.

BJC likes this.
  17. Jun 19, 2019 #37

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Using an(y) existing or future android tablet shouldn't be an issue, and less likely to cause obsolescence than an off-the-shelf display, which won't be available next month. There are several android apps that run on just about any android device that will accept input from a Stratux (Raspberry)'s wifi output and display an AHARS screen. This also has the advantage of one less wire in the cockpit, and more flexibility of mounting location for the AHARS hardware. Adding the pitot & static pressure sensors, and (harder for me) the supporting code, should be all that's needed for full ADHARS.

18. Jun 19, 2019 #38

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

But why do you consider the need for the Tablet with the added complexity of custom code for both the tablet and the Raspberry.
    I have seen enough moody connectivity issues with the Wifi connection.
    To me the direct hardwired Display is as stable as one can have. A compatible display of some type will always be available.

19. Jun 19, 2019 #39

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Because 90%+ of the code and hardware already exists, and for a lot of us, is already in use. I believe that most of the code for the existing Stratux system already resides in the various android apps, and the Stratux software just supplies the data to the app. If you're starting from scratch, at least make both HDMI & WIFI output available.

20. Jun 19, 2019 #40

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Is there a link to a basic schematic that you like?