Quantcast

Ceramic seal upgrade

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

I have a grayhead and want to do the ceramic seal. Anyone here have the case dimensions for the ceramic?
I have access to a machine shop to make the cut, if I had some dimensions to use.
does anyone know the difference in size and shape from the rubber to the ceramic seals?

Daleandee

Gray head, blue head ... thought maybe he was talking about old folks! 😏

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Pretty sure the greyhead is the older version. Sorry OP, no knowledge of the numbers you need.

Daleandee

Pretty sure the greyhead is the older version. Sorry OP, no knowledge of the numbers you need.
You are correct. I don't know if they would but I'd suggest calling a Rotax service center and see what assistance they might give you. D&F in Goldsboro, NC has a very knowledgeable and fine gentleman working there named Dwight.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Rotax Rick would know, I would think. I've not had any dealing with him, but many others have. Just one more lead to check out.

proppastie

Log Member
Two thoughts. ...use the standard seal.....measure the case and shaft and talk to a bearing distributer

n3puppy

Why not buy the ceramic seal from Rotax and then measure it to see what you need to do to the case?

Last edited:
n3,
I have the seal, I can measure the OD , there is a small chamfer or lip for the seal flange to sit against. I’m sure the depth in the case has to be a specific distance to place the seal in the optimum position. If I could come up with a bluehead case I’d see if I can spin a tool on my lathe to make the cut.

proppastie

Log Member
You chance ruined case. .....just get a seal to fit existing case

How many are running the rubber seals with no problems?
what pressure cap ?
ive heard use a lower pressure cap , I have looked up the seal specs from the maker and from what I see, they are good to 7psi.

n3puppy

How many are running the rubber seals with no problems?
what pressure cap ?
ive heard use a lower pressure cap , I have looked up the seal specs from the maker and from what I see, they are good to 7psi.
I looked through a bunch of Ski-doo Snowmobile Parts books. All the rubber sealed 582/583 in 1990's sleds used a 13 lbs pressure cap.
There is a reference in the 582UL install manual to 13lb also. But it does not say if for rubber, ceramic, or both (90 vs 99)

703FF989-3C2D-4336-8E1C-8A6B58D594BB.jpegBF158758-3468-4AE8-95AC-98A9D48CCECE.jpeg

Last edited: