Quantcast

Ceramic seal upgrade

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
Yes, but on the Rotax 582 when they fail, it passes coolant into the case/intake plenum and the engine stops running.
when the seal fails in a 2 stroke the engine will also quit, either by a fouled plugs or seized piston .....hopefully you will notice the problem before it stops and land......if it is a stock seal for that engine fine, if not you are in a whole different place......might want to do extensive ground testing, or just buy the rubber seal and change it often ....just how often has the stock seal failed? Were you able to notice the problem before the engine stopped?

Does anyone know of a DIY tool to cut the case Or have dimensions?
i have a lathe and do light machine work on my own projects. SB heavy10 36”. I have been needing an excuse to get a mill. This might be the ticket.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not to be harsh with this statement but....you are setting yourself up for a very expensive failure.
Send your componants off to a certified Rotax facility or Rotax Rick and have the machining done for the ceramic seal.
I'm not making light of your mechanical abilities at all.....but I will point out the fact that a misjudgment with the machining can become very expensive very quickly for you.
Weigh the cost of having someone that has done 100's of the seals against the cost of you having to replace parts due to a miscalculation on your part.
Which is cheaper ???

Kevin

Not to be harsh with this statement but....you are setting yourself up for a very expensive failure.
Send your componants off to a certified Rotax facility or Rotax Rick and have the machining done for the ceramic seal.
I'm not making light of your mechanical abilities at all.....but I will point out the fact that a misjudgment with the machining can become very expensive very quickly for you.
Weigh the cost of having someone that has done 100's of the seals against the cost of you having to replace parts due to a miscalculation on your part.
Which is cheaper ???

Kevin
I truly appreciate your concern, and no disrespect to anyone doing Rotax work out there. I have been doing light machine work for a long time. I can read a print and have no doubt in my abilities, but the biggest reason for doing this is, I trust me way more than I could ever trust anyone else when it comes to work on my plane. I won’t say I am a perfectionist, but it does have to be as close to perfect as I can get it, when it comes to peace of mind once I’m off the ground. It’s looking like I may have to send the case out to have this done because I can’t find dimensions. I will likely only have to do this one time for myself. I have a lathe and do some work that is within .001 tolerance, exact cutting to size is most of my work anyway. I have made cuts that were +/-.0005. Making bushings for projects. I do not have a mill yet, but I may get one soon. I just like to do things myself. I rarely ever pay someone else to do anything. I fix and repair everything I own.

Armilite

I have a grayhead and want to do the ceramic seal. Anyone here have the case dimensions for the ceramic?
I have access to a machine shop to make the cut, if I had some dimensions to use.
does anyone know the difference in size and shape from the rubber to the ceramic seals?
I think there is a Special Tool for cutting the Case for the Seal. I would send it to Rotax rick and have him do it. Frequently Asked Questions