• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Case Study: Oleo Strut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

Having never been a fan of the cantilever spring landing gear designs so favored by Cessna, Vans, and about half of the homebuilt industry, I decided to sketch the oleo design detailed in Pazmany's "Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft: Vol 1" (There was never a Vol.2; too bad as it was to detail retraction schemes).

The PL-2 main gear design was geared (hah!) towards homebuilders and is already pretty simple to build, my laziness encourages me to further simplify the design before incorporating it into my overall design:

The design depicted in the book has a 27" long strut and uses a 5.00-5 tire/hub, the latter of which is roughly depicted here. Without the hydraulic oil, tire, hub, and axle, it weighs about 20lbs.

2018_0212_Baseline2.jpg

Back