• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Book Discussion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopeless_dreamer

Hi everyone,
I am going through a book called "Stick and Rudder" written by a guy who sounds German and whose name I have given up trying to pronounce. Although I cannot uber-emphasize how much I am enjoying reading it I am having trouble swallowing some of the things the author states about pilot training and flying fundamentals:-
1) The author says that the only thing that really needs to be understood to develop a good flying technique is Angle of Attack and that many of the other things that pilots learn (like best glide speed, flaring techniques and a lot of other stuff) is just AoA in disguise.
2) He feels that pilot training techniques are misdirected because of emphasis on the wrong things and that many students wash out due to flaws in pedagogy rather than lack of aptitude.
3) He seems to imply that an airplane flies best when left "alone" and that many inexperienced pilots die because they fight the airplane.

I am not a pilot, or a designer, but many of the people here are both experienced designers and experienced pilots, and have probably come across this book at some time in your lives, what is your opinion?

Addendum: It is possible, nay, probable that I have misunderstood the authors intent (Its Wolfgang Langewiesche, by the way) so please be gentle in you comments if I am in error.

Back