Biplane Forum

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Nov 23, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 23, 2018 #1

BJC

BJC

BJC

Anyone sticking with (subscribing to) the Biplane Forum?

BJC

flyinut likes this.
  2. Nov 23, 2018 #2

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

I'm a member there. I'm the guy building the Lil Bitts.

Tiger Tim and BJC like this.
  3. Nov 23, 2018 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

I got the impression existing members would be grandfathered? Making it pay only is a sure way to kill it, though, it'll never get any new members.

4. Nov 23, 2018 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

Please let me know if you are able to log in. I am not.

BJC

5. Nov 23, 2018 #5

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I used to be active there but found that there was not much interest in anything other than a few popular designs. Pretty much anything I was interested in just got the sound of crickets in response.

6. Nov 23, 2018 #6

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

I donated a few times, but now they want you to subscribe, it appears.... I was basically on there to help others with my designs.....

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  7. Nov 23, 2018 #7

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

I think I may have donated at one point, but mostly just lurk and absorb so haven't hit an "pay-up or else" tripwire -- probably am over there (and Sonerai) almost as much as here...

8. Nov 23, 2018 #8

BJC

BJC

BJC

I probably won’t pay to use the Biplane Forum. I have only made a few posts there. I do enjoy the construction photos, but if I need to know anything about a biplane, I just ask Steve.

BJC

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  9. Nov 23, 2018 #9

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

I donate $5 monthly to HBA. Have for years and will continue to. I use it every single day, and love it.
    I browse Biplane forum occasionally. I like the Lil bitts thread and often there are some good project logs there. It already had ads, and now no option but to subscribe.
    I won't be opting in.
    I realize it's cheap, but I don't use it nearly like this site.

10. Nov 23, 2018 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

I have never payed. I don't know if grandfathered or just post enough to keep me around. I would hate to not be able to see it. More serious over there. Less silly.

11. Nov 23, 2018 #11

BJC

BJC

BJC

I gladly donate to HBA; as others have said, I’m addicted to it.

Yes, most of the posters on the Biplane Forum are current or former builders or are flying regularly. That is nice, as are the build photos and the excellent hints and critiques. (Recently, a builder’s photo showed that he was headed for a mistake. A sharp-eyed person saw the mistake, pointed it out, politely, and saved the builder from a problem.)

I am fortunate to have a Pitts expert who also is an expert aerobatic pilot as a friend and neighbor, so the real value of the Biplane Forum is minimal to me. It also is a little aggravating that the change to a paid forum wasn’t discussed or announced in advance.

BJC

12. Nov 23, 2018 #12

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I've contributed to the Biplane forum in the past but with the Hiperbipe gone I dont hang there much. That said, I'm still able to get in a poke around (as of 5 minutes ago).

I like the Biplane forum because a huge majority of the posters are actively flying or building real, viable airplanes. The posters there are also largely fanatical about weight reduction, which is another plus. On the downside, they are stuck in the 1960's WRT engine management. Aside from big compression and big RPM, most of them are just fine with mags and big open air scoops as the "induction system". EI/EFI, cooling system drag reduction/optimization, LOP ops.... Largely not interested.

I'm also on VAF which is a huge resource for firsthand info the latest gadgets/technology, and of course they set a (very) high bar for active builders/fliers. They are not afraid to spend money on engines, monitors and accessories, but the downside is that there is not a whole lot of "experimentation" there. Lots of "Tab A into Slot B" assembly. Those few that do try optimizing their machines are largely beaten down by the hordes of the sheeple who don't know better or those who are trying to "protect the children" by showing everyone why you are a bad example. I have learned to keep my mouth shut on almost any "potential" improvements, and instead go out and get actual flight test data before reporting anything off plan. Even with hard data, its often a tough sell.

And then there's this place... With the loss and departure of some very significant technical contributors, its become an aviation themed Facebook. Endless talk, very little action.

The various "type specific" forums offer lots of good theory and verifiable performance gains I'm sure, but I dont have time to sift through the Glasair, Lancair, Eze, Burkut, etc, etc... forums to grab a good induction idea here, and exhaust idea there, cooling optimization somewhere else...

I guess I'm like a one man CAFE organization - I like figuring out a way to eke just a bit more performance out of whatever I'm flying. As a consequence I strive to always have an airplane to fly, but it will never be "done" with it. Seems like there should be a forum for that. Perhaps others doing this type of activity are too busy working on improving their birds to spend it on the Internet? Maybe that's my clue...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    dcstrng, bmcj and rv6ejguy like this.
  13. Nov 23, 2018 #13

BJC

BJC

BJC

Sad, but true. A few of the accomplished contributors who no longer post have said that they just don’t find anything interesting being discussed here these days.

BJC

bmcj and rv6ejguy like this.
  14. Nov 24, 2018 #14

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Yep, no question that is true -- still, I dial up HBA at least once a week just to see what the current airplane talk is; can't say I'm all that interested in a nuclear fission powered 103 ultra-light (let alone whatever the latest digital fantasy is), and I've grown weary about whether finite eliminate analysis has been properly accomplished for every change in an instrument panel's knobs, but there is just enough substance (and general civility) to make HBA a pleasant digital way-point...

Hadn't really thought about it until this thread, but the sites I hit the most often are either pay sites (or ones where you have to own plans, etc...). I hit the Sonerai site nearly every day (one of my biggest regrets was selling my half way's mature Sonerai project -- really dumb...), and there are still some refreshingly active Yahoo sites for those who want a different breed here and there... As to the core question on the BiPlane forum... yep, rather focused on 8-10 well-known designs, but most contributors over there either seem to be building (gasp) or fly said designs, so the practical aspects are reasonably high even if a Pitts or Skybolt isn't likely in your family tree... I still want a Knight Twister (but... no courage...)

BJC likes this.
  15. Nov 24, 2018 #15

TFF

TFF

TFF

Sad part is pay to play is going to become more standard. Airplane people are pretty disciplined, so there is not a lot of ad clicks. Some on the biplane forum were kind of racy. Lots of complaints. No real aviation sites advertising to amount to much. I can see why they are trying it this way. Specialty sites like this are in the end have to have benevolent owners or pay. Making money on any old site is not going to happen anymore. How I will fall into this will have to be seen in the end.

16. Nov 24, 2018 #16

Dana

Dana

Dana

People may drift elsewhere, for example there's a Starduster forum hosted by Aircraft Spruce (along with other designs they own the rights to), there's a Hatz forum hosted by the Hatz Association, neither of which get much traffic... now.

One other thing about Biplane Forum, even though it's mostly focused on a few common designs, much of what is discussed applies to all other types, too.

17. Nov 24, 2018 #17

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The biplane forum has some really solid guys on it. I like it.

Life is so short though, it's hard for me to hang out on multiple platforms etc.

HBA is my internet home.

bmcj and Chris In Marshfield like this.
  18. Nov 25, 2018 #18

TFF

TFF

TFF

The only thing about the Biplane forum that cant compete is volume. This place has few lulls. There is just about a post a minute of the day. The biplane forum is just distilled. There is plenty non biplane stuff as except for rigging wires, all love airplanes. Plenty of monoplanes going on. Cassut, Mini Mustangs, One designs, Lasers. Kooky stuff like AN2s Anything that is too spacey gets tossed out fast. Well moderated. Some that were ban from HBA are active over there; some that are active here are Ban over there. There is a parity of sorts. Most people are not polarizing though. It is sad BF cant be read for free. It really is a top build resource for 4130/ wood construction.

Toobuilder likes this.
  19. Nov 25, 2018 #19

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It would be cool if everyone could view, but you pay to get rid of the ads. I will almost always pay for an app to be ad free if given a choice.

20. Nov 25, 2018 #20

BJC

BJC

BJC

What irritates me more than the fact that they went to a pay to participate site is that there was no prior discussion about the impending change. A notice or posting explaining the financial need or desire, with an effective date, would have been appreciated.

BJC