Quantcast

Analog tach for VW

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

I have a Tiny Tach which works fine. However, I can't read it when the light is bad. I like to fly at sunrise and the low sun angle makes the display unreadable. I am looking for an old style tach with a regular old style dial with a white needle that will work with a magneto or the Great Plains secondary ignition. It is a waste spark system so the tach needs to work with that. It also needs to be no larger than 2-1/4". Any suggestions for a decent tach that won't break the bank?

Daleandee

Westach makes one that will fit but depending on your limit it might be in the “break the bank” area for you.

Here’s the one I think you would need *ouch*

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
They work and you can get them in blue or red . Also if you don't have an electrical can be powered by a 9 volt battery. No trouble seeing

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Didn't used the larger magnet that came with the tach, order some 1/8" dia X 1/4" long magnets for about $3.00 dollars. Chucked the prop bolt in the lathe and drilled a #29 hole, 3/16" deep and put a little dab of JB weld on the magnet and inserted in the hole. One end of the magnet will not work , its polarity sensitive.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
These guys make good automotive gauges and have been very responsive and helpful in the past. Their $120 2-1/16" 4000 rpm tach might be a good fit. They often have good sales around holidays and big weekends. It's programmable for the number of sparks per revolution but you might want to check with them first for your application.

Marc W

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Hall Effect NPN sensor is a little large. I found a smaller one. How, I don't remember where on the internet.
Picture is of the large sensor on the mount I made for the C-85 engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim Chuk

I have a never used VW tach. Probably sell it fairly cheap. I can get some pictures of it if you are interested. Sorry, I missed the part in your post about it needing to be 2 1/4" I think mine is larger then that. I'll take a look when I go out to the garage later. JImChuk

Daleandee

I might try this one. The price is right. The red is probably easier to read.
Please report back on what you find out. I like the look of these but some of the reviews are quite negative as to the quality.

Jim Chuk

I went and looked at the VW tach I have. It will fit in a 2 1/8" hole, and measures 2 1/4" across the face. It is also made to mount on top of a panel. If you want to see some pictures, I can text them to you. $25 and shipping will get it. JImChuk

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I went and looked at the VW tach I have. It will fit in a 2 1/8" hole, and measures 2 1/4" across the face. It is also made to mount on top of a panel. If you want to see some pictures, I can text them to you. $25 and shipping will get it. JImChuk
Can you give us a link ?

Dan

Marc W

Jim,

Will it work with a Slick magneto or the electronic waste spark system? The electronic ignition has two sensors and each sensor fires its own coil. If you hook the tach to one coil, it will only see two cylinders firing every 720 degrees. If it works with the mag or two coil waste spark system, I am interested.

Do you know the manufacturer and model?

Jim Chuk

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, the tach is made to hook to a distriburor ignition. It's a cheaper aftermarket tach. I don't see a brand name on it. JImChuk

Marc W

OK, I don't think that will work with my ignition. I will pass. Thanks for checking on it.