• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

An airplane for the modern homebuilding enthusiast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arfang

Supporting Member
I'd like to start another of these design threads like the motorcycle of the air or the 21 century Volksplane. I enjoy reading these a lot, it shows how a simple set of guidelines can spark the imagination, which is my intent here. What I propose is to come up with solutions to the modern homebuilding enthusiast problem. The modern homebuilding enthusiast has no building space (or a very limited one), no hangar space, no truck driver licence and no trailer and lives in a flat in an urban area far away from any airfield.

Characteristics and performances

First, I'd like the airplane to comply with french UL regulations described below but feel free to work with Part 103 regulations, I'm sure some people have the same issues on the other side of the Atlantic ocean and the construction solutions we come up with could potentialy be applied to both types.

• Preferably not a powered parachute or trike. What I have in mind is something close to a Wee Bee, Bumble Bee or Cri-Cri.
  • Single seat
  • Single engine
  • Max allowed power: 65 kW or 88 hp
  • Max Vso: 70 kph or 37 kt or 43 mph
  • MTOM: 330 kg or 727 lbs
  • Range: 250 km or 135 nm, but that's in the 'nice to have category' don't focus too much on that.
Transport

The idea is to be able to fit the entire airplane in one vehicle. Since the modern homebuilding enthusiast has no special drivers licence, he's limited to small rental cargo vehicles such as the Iveco Daily for instance. I chose this particular model since it's easy to find one here. It comes in different variants, some bigger and some smaller with the following cargo floor dimensions:

• 2.6m x 1.8m or 8.5ft x 5.9ft
  • 3.1m x 1.8m or 10ft x 5.9ft
  • 3.5m x 1.8m or 11ft x 5.9ft

I couldn't find the exact height for the different variants but we can assume 5ft for the first one and 5.9ft for the other two. Again, this is just to give an idea of the space available, feel free to use the dimensions of an other vehicle of that type.

Building space

If it fits in a vehicle, it can be built in any room. Of course using a bedroom or living room is impossible due to the noise, but small shops/garages can be found, one could even find a big enough makerspace. The only problem is that many shops, at least here, only have a small access door. For that reason, all parts should fit through a 2m x 0.8m or 6ft x 2.6ft doorway.

Storage space

That's the less limiting factor, again if it fits in a vehicle, it fits in any room. In that scenario, even a bedroom could be used for storage. Unless you're married, but I'm not qualified in that area.

Assembly/disassembly

Preferably, the assembly/disassembly should be done in 15-30 minutes by two people. Last time the modern homebuilding enthusiast had to assemble his K8 it took him close to an hour, a crew of three and lots of swearing, never again.

Skills, tools, build time and cost

As you can see, it's more about space than cost or simplicity, but one should keep in mind that many people don't have the skills or tools depending on the construction method. It's a complicated topic since everyone has a different idea on what is considered 'simple', 'cheap' or 'fast'. Of course, those criterias are important but I suggest we keep them as a 'bonus' and focus more on the dimensions but with additional points for the compact and cheap/simple solutions. I think it makes more sense to optimize a 'foldable airplane' rather than 'fold' a cheap airplane.

Let me know what you think.

Back