amphibious weightshift

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

summitphil

Hi everyone,
I don't know if i'm in the right section for this post if not, I'm sorry... here's my problem : I'm searching for complete plans for making a amphibious hang glider from scratch or maybe FIB. Thank you HBA

PS... I' m sorry for my english writing.. I'm french canadian

summitphil

No im searching for double seat trike plans with 582 or 503 rotax but amphibious (or maybe something like Polaris FIB) that can land on ground or in water...

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
There are a few weight-shift trike/inflatable boat combinations, but they all seem to be ready-to-fly or pretty expensive kits. Here are a couple of links, one with rigid floats:

Cygnet Aircraft
Seair Technologies, Inc. Home Page
www.scottstrikecenter.com

Je ne sais pas beaucoup sur les pendulaires, amphibies ou non, mais je me debrouille en français, alors n'hésites pas à m'envoyer un message privé si je peux t'aider.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread title changed to show what it's really about.

You could probably put floats on nearly any weightshift trike, but you'd need to add some means of steering when on the water as weightshifts don't have rudders.

As far as I know, there are no complete weightshift plans out there, as sewing the wing sails is well above the capability of most amateur builders. There are some people who have built light trikes using tandem hang glider wings, but whether they could handle the additional weight of floats, I don't know.

Dana

I'm a second-hand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass,
I eat cow.

Himat

You could probably put floats on nearly any weightshift trike, but you'd need to add some means of steering when on the water as weightshifts don't have rudders.
A word of warning about that, to me it look like the working principle of the “flying RIB” is different from other “conventional” seaplanes with three axis control. The difference I see lies in the interaction between the hull and wing at takeoff and landing.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
A word of warning about that, to me it look like the working principle of the “flying RIB” is different from other “conventional” seaplanes with three axis control. The difference I see lies in the interaction between the hull and wing at takeoff and landing.
Good point; a conventional seaplane needs a step in the floats to allow rotation at liftoff. A FIB doesn't, since the wing itself can pitch up independently. On landing, the Zodiac type hull of the FIB is probably more tolerant of a nose down attitude than a conventional seaplane float.

Dana

Beware of strange faces and dark dingy places, be careful while bending the law...