• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

A&P Mechanic needed in Savannah GA., Great pay plus free use of our airplanes.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fixnflyr

We need two more A&P mechanics in Savannah at Savannah Aviation. We are growing fast since we bought it a year ago. We are a full service aircraft maintenance shop and Cessna/Beech service center. We opened the flight school back up in March 2019 and we have 7 instructors and 10 airplanes for lease. Our employees can use our airplanes for gas money and we have two instructors on salary they use for free. If you wanted to learn to fly or build time, Savannah would be a great place for it.
We offer very high wages and great benefits, paid time off, vacation plus it is a really nice place to work.
We also do a lot of fabrication work on experimental's besides the certified piston and turboprop maintenance.
This business will be for sale in 9 years and I would prefer to sell it to an employee.
Please PM or call me and lets talk about your goals and your brighter future!
Call or PM Swaid at nine one two 6 five five zero 9 six 6.
P.S.- We do some cool stuff like build airplanes and race them at Reno and Thailand, Experimental turboprop conversions, banner towing and some other things.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Oh man! When I retire in 5 years or so I would love to have a gig like that. I've been trying to figure out if I want to keep my IA when that happens and how to fly for cheap too......wrong place at the wrong time......you guys need to move here to the Phoenix area...LOL.

Battler Britton

Hey..
I am A&P mechanic ..mostly Grumman Agcat, Thrush and Turbo Thrush, lot of work with P&W 1340....
I am very unpleased wabout my salary, here in France.
So, I'm going to moove, somewhere in Europe or Africa.
can you tell me, please what is a great pay, acording you,
it will be very interresting for me to know before ....mooving!
thank you.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I have no idea what it's like elsewhere in the world but starting wages here is around $18 an hour for a "new" mechanic and up to $45 an hour for a seasoned airline mechanic. Your mileage may vary.......

choppergirl

Banned
Train someone local fresh out of high school. Some high schools have auto shop classes so there's a pool to draw from.

I myself got an job interview for Airport IT manager here in Augusta, but after re-reading the job description several times over before the interview, the workplace environment and working for the city sounded so incredibly toxic, I was like "no friggin way - not now, not ever". Too bad, because I love airplanes and I'm a wizard at computers and networking. You would think, the perfect job for me, at least I did when I first saw the job posting.

So more important than anything else, you have to offer a work environment that is not toxic, and spell that out in the job description. Most companies only offer money, and fail at offering anything whatsoever of any actual value. Every job pays money. Money is not at all that valuable, when compared to expanded access to resources, expanded networking with smarter people, expanded opportunity to broaden your world to an enriched life.

Offering free use of some of the planes for joyriding for the price of tanking up should be a given for every A&P job, so kudos for that - you're starting right off the bat out on a good foot. A mechanic I think practically has to be able to take any plane out anyway, to test out if what they just fixed really does work when put into real world use. Better the mechanic when they just know what got changed or changed out, than the next person in the seat who is clueless something was changed, replaced, replumbed, or rewired.

If you've ever worked in a hierarchical anal retentive rule based micromanaged toxic work environment where your coworkers are treacherous and will knife you in the back and your boss is a real work of art, you know, no amount of money can make you want to stay once the glow of a new job wears off and you discover the reality of a situation.

So, my 2 cents would be, like plug how working at Savannah Aviation is simply the best, and who would be your co-workers, and how they are just the most interesting and awesome people to work with and what you could learn from them. And how the place is just totally... chill. And keep it true. If it's not true, change it to be true.

Most job postings are just a horribly long list of necessary credentials and previous experience required, trying to cherry pick people out with tons of former experience while avoiding all costs of the company training anyone themselves. Employees are getting wiser. If you're not going to pay for me to go to school or train me or get certificates, I'm not going to give you that expertise for free up front, because it cost me a lot of time to acquire it.

I ask a whole ton of ascerbic questions now at job interviews and observe more for the pervasive company culture and mentality, because now I assume the worst, instead of the best. Why did the last person leave? There probably was a real good reason. Why aren't you hiring from within? Why aren't you training someone to do the job from the inside? If your company really is expanding rapidly with a bright future, why aren't you spending that money instead on your employees, instead of expansion at the cost of paying your employees a living wage. Etc.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
A positive attitude might get a bright, energetic, young aviation enthusiast an entry level job that, with hard work and dedication, could lead to a meaningful career.

BJC

Last edited:

Mcmark

I got my A&P 18 months ago and get solicitations in the mail regularly for Mechs wanted.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I got my A&P 18 months ago and get solicitations in the mail regularly for Mechs wanted.
There is no shortage of jobs for A&P mechanics currently. We can easily train for basic knowledge and skills required but "soft" skills are a challenge for many of our students and it's those skills that enable them to get hired and to keep a job nowadays.