60 Years of Popular Mechanics saved from the dump

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

I have a friend in Mt Vernon, WA that gives me an old PM about every time I visit. I think I have one that's over a hundred years old. Get a kick out of the old cigarette adds, lol. One of my childhood memories is from the 80s, I was maybe 10 or 11. We were living in an old log cabin, southeast Alaska, no power, no running water, a 5 gallon bucket and some kerosene lamps. I have very fond memories of sitting and reading this big old red hardback book by lamplight. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me but it had the coolest projects in it. Steam engines and rafts and all sorts of things. Good times.
In the 70s Alaska I can remember long snowmobile trips where we would find old cabins and stay the night.
One of the coolest parts of those trips was reading the” insulation” tacked to the walls.

tdfsks

Do the world a favor photograph every page and put it on the Internet
You don't need to .... Google has done it for us. Every single page of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science ever published (except the most recent decade) is already on Google books and accessible to all.

Here is a link to Popular Mechanics:
Google Books

Here is Popular Science:
Google Books

The best bit is they are all searchable.

Enjoy .....

Last edited:

YMO

You don't need to .... Google has done it for us. Every single page of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science ever published (except the most recent decade) is already on Google books and accessible to all.

Here is a link to Popular Mechanics:
Google Books

Here is Popular Science:
Google Books

The best bit is they are all searchable.

Enjoy .....
Thank you for sharing. Extraordinary!

N804RV

HBA Supporter
I found the US Navy Air Navigation, Vol. I & II in the dumpster many years ago. It was so interesting, I decided to learn celestial navigation. And, I collected a couple of interesting artifacts, including an A10 Bubble Sextant and an Astro Compass, Mk II.

FritzW

Log Member
It was so interesting, I decided to learn celestial navigation.
I started dabbleing in the black art of celestial navigation back in the 80's. Over the years it's cost me a bunch of money and many thousands of hours but I've finally located my backyard to within a few thousand feet 🤣 <EDIT: ...but it's been a whole lotta fun>

Last edited:

EzyBuildWing

Pop Sci Oct '71 edition Aerosport Rail cover-story.... Twin 25hp Pusher motors....looks great!
Maybe re-engine with twin Aixro-Wankels or twin Mosquito helicopter engines for STOL and great for single-engine climb-out at MTOW(helicopter engines have to be super reliable, don't they!). Could even equip with twin-Polini's........
Looks like a single-seat Aircam ......same flying sensation as Breezy or Moyes DragonFly etc, but with redundant-engine safety.
Can see myself flying in those fabulous locations shown in the superb vids on the Aircam website. Those vids are the greatest!
Looks like the "Rail" fuse is built in a day from two 2" x 2" x 0.125" square Al tube like Gyrocopter masts are made from..... real cheap and easy to jig true.... whole plane back then cost $2500.
Here's the Link to the Article......, so take a look:

Pops

Log Member
I started dabbleing in the black art of celestial navigation back in the 80's. Over the years it's cost me a bunch of money and many thousands of hours but I've finally located my backyard to within a few thousand feet 🤣 <EDIT: ...but it's been a whole lotta fun>
I have a Sextant and manuals. My old instrument flight instructor was an Air Force navigator and wanted me to learn. Very interesting.

Last edited: