60 Years of Popular Mechanics saved from the dump

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
I manged to score every edition of Popular Mechanics from the 30's through the 90's that were headed to the dump today.

...why couldn't I have found these during all the covid nonsense when I needed something to read. ;)
20200621_181035_resized.jpg

This is going to be fun...
20200621_184250_resized.jpg

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
A great find. I don't know if any of those "Build this Plywood Speedboat in a Weekend!" projects actually got built, but plenty of folks dreamed of doing them.
The present PM is still okay, but not as full of fun ideas as the old ones.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I manged to score every edition of Popular Mechanics from the 30's through the 90's that were headed to the dump today.
<< >>
This is going to be fun...
Better you than me! I've got too many distractions as it is. 😣
<< >>
But I'd still like to find a set like that.

Pilot-34

Some years ago I found a bunch of old popular science ,popular mechanics Etc.
They are amazing with projects that we would never dream of nowadays
Make your own 12 inch telescope with two glass blanks a little bit of grit and a circular rubbing pattern and just a few years of evening work............

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
More than 60% of the current Popular Mechanics pages are advertisements. I'd much rather read back issues from the 50's thru 70's.
Yeah, and even the ads in the old ones are interesting. The car ads showed actual features of the car, there were lots of ads for big and small tools and widgets, etc.

Pilot-34

I did build a TV antenna with cardboard aluminum foil and copper wire that was optimized for colored television and it seems like it was in a 1927 magazine.

It was one of the best antennas I ever had!

A friend of mine was hanging out with me and saw an article on winding your own welder.
He tried it and although he spent more on the copper than it would’ve cost him to buy a new welder he claimed that was one of the best and most robust welders he’s ever had.

Man I miss those magazines

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I love the old "how to" articles in that magazine, and in competitor Popular Science. One of my favorite books I own is a collection of "maker" articles from the magazines, published in 1939. My grandmother gave the book to my grandfather as a Christmas present in 1940. My granddaddy was a young adult during the Depression, and like many of that generation, could make or fix darn near anything. Hmmm, I may make that backyard foundry yet!

WWhunter

OMG!! What a find! PM was one of my favorite magazines to browse through when I was in school. Study hall usually found me in the library looking through them.
I still remember the Teenie Two and another aircraft that I can't seem to recall the name of, were my most drooled over articles. I probably wore those two issues out.
I wish I could figure out what the other aircraft was, maybe 'Mini-Hawk" or something along those lines. It would have been probably mid 70's. I would love to have a copy of both articles, just for prosperity.

RonL

HBA Supporter
This is almost as much fun and does not take as much shelf space. You can do the same with Popular Science.

BJC

HBA Supporter
This is almost as much fun and does not take as much shelf space. You can do the same with Popular Science.

That works, but I much prefer holding a magazine in my hands.

Someone mentioned the ads. Back when our small EAA chapter was looking for newsletter content, I would peruse old Sport Aviation magazines for interesting and humorous ads to mention in a column titled “25 Years Ago.” Got lots of favorable comments.

BJC

cheapracer

Log Member
Yeah, and even the ads in the old ones are interesting.
Yup because they were allowed to lie and exaggerate, now we are protected too much in case our feelings get hurt, or we have to face the truth..

Imagine a 'Bullworker' advert today with some skinny kid having sand kicked in his face, the Social Justice Warriors would go crazy .....

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Yup because they were allowed to lie and exaggerate, now we are protected too much in case our feelings get hurt, or we have to face the truth..
There was a long intervening period when the ads were carefully worded to avoid outright falsehoods. The govt could have made a haul with a tax on "up to" s in those ads.
"Make up to $10 a day sharpening chainsaws!"
" Turn Regular Boards into Beautiful Molding that Sells For up to 25 cents per foot!!""

Hey, if I'd just stuck with that Bullworker plan, I'd have been an Olympic weightlifter in the 1970s!

Pops

Log Member
Found an old PM magazine when I was about 8 or 9 years old and built a crystal radio. It worked.