• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Diehl Accessory Case/Slick 4316 Magneto Drive Hub Damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N804RV

Started annual inspection on 4SP and pulled the magneto to comply with Slick service bulletin.

Found damage to both the spacer and the drive hub mounted to the Alternator rotor/flywheel. This install has no starter or full size flywheel with starter ring. It just uses the flange that takes the place of the flywheel on the Sonerai-Great Plains X-Casting.

Since the lugs on the drive hub are perpendicular to the lugs on the magneto drive gear when the spacer is properly installed, I can't figure out how the thing could go together and the spacer not be centered (concentric). But, looking at the wear on the outside circumference and the other damage, that seems to be exactly what happened. It looks like it eventually seated and found a position it liked. Because the engine had run flawlessly for 2 years and 180 hours.

I bought this aircraft in flying condition. The only reason I pulled the mag was to do the service bulletin.

1. Has anyone else ever seen this kind of damage?

2. What to you do to insure the phenolic spacer stays in position when you install the magneto?

This is what I found:

48580597327_6ee1218704_b.jpg

48580808172_e0d811af5a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back