• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing area questions and a few others

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerogant

If one is looking at a low wing plane, will the area of the wing that passes through the fuselage be counted for wing area purposes? I have seen this in many planes, but have no idea how one would calculate the lift on this section. Any thoughts?

I am sketching up an ultralight that will use either double slotted flaps or Kitfox type Junkers flaps. The main purpose of the plane will be to use the absolute minimum wing area and still be an ultralight. There will be tradeoffs made and this will not be a plane for all seasons. My question would involve V tails and flaps. I have read some of the Naca documents regarding V tails. I have been cautioned about high pitching moments and V tails. Could a V tail be used w/ the aforementioned flap systems, or am I asking for trouble? Are there any work arounds?

Thanks for your time.

Back