• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAA Ref. Part 103 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EventHorizon

U:\MilkyWay\Sol\Earth\USA\VA\Midlothian.wtf
Hello all! I've been familiarizing myself with the FAA ultralight regulations and I'm vaguely concerned about the 5 gallon maximum part. I'd like to be able to fly my to-be-built ultralight for around 1.5 hours (max), but I'm not so sure that 5 gallons will get me there. In that case, what is the price jump coincidental with exceeding the ultralight restrictions and building an actual "airplane" with a faster engine and greater fuel capacity? I feel like if I were to do this I would start encountering a plethora of requirements such as instruments and more which I don't even have the capacity to fathom right now. For my first build project, which I will be constructing out of wood and foam, should I just keep it really simple and learn to love a slow and short flight? How long a cruise flight can 5 gallons get me (ignoring takeoff and landing)?

Another question, a little OT. I was watching the Smithsonian channel and they had a special on the world's smallest aircraft, with a focus on kit planes. One of the first they featured was a kit plane made entirely out of wood and foam that adhered to FAA Part 103 regs and was extremely inexpensive. I for the life of me can not recall the name of the build or the kit. If someone has a link or a location to the kit build plans I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Back