• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Main wing construction help, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulS

OK, I am not an engineer - I was a mechanic in the automotive / heavy equipment fields (some years of racing interests).In the design of a 30 foot wing with a 6 foot chord (rectangular and not swept) I would like to build the lightest wing I can and still have it rated to about 6g loading. The wing will be a one piece end to end construction. Because this is an ultralight I cannot see drag as a major draw-back. It will take off at 25 - 27 mph and have a top level flight speed of 63 - 64 mph. The dimensions of the wing are:Flat bottom from trailing edge to 1 inch from the leading edge. A 1 inch radius tangent to the bottom and tangent to an ellipse that forms the curved nose and lifting surface to 40% of chord (from leading edge) where a tangent straight line goes to the trailing edge. Flaps are hinged type with a radius at the top - no gaps. Aerolons are Junker type so not part of the structural surface (other than mounting points). The maximum thickness of the wing is 9 inches at 30 % of chord (from the leading edge).I would like to know sizes of the "D" nose spar and the second spar (hinging the flaps) and where to place struts on the wing span to preven overbending and oscillation of the wing in flight.At around 600 - 650 gross weight and 6g loading I just don't have the skills to figure out what I need to build this one piece wing. I will test the bare wing sceleton and be sure that it will take the loads because it will only have a fabric covering which will not be structural at all.I am assuming wood construction or wood / foam but I have no clue what the strengths are and how to go about finding out.Thanks,Paul

Attachments

• 72InchAirfoil.jpg
    72InchAirfoil.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 661
Back