• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum Spar Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

It was suggested by a few folks that I move my discussion into this realm, since this seems to be where everybody hangs out.

So thanks to Orion and a few other people I now have a big fat heavy spar just like everybody else :dis:.

Turns out the center section is driven by the landing gear loads, and more importantly by the fact I have to put a 1/4 in bolt through the caps. to attach the gear. The center section weighs about 17 lbs now.

I find myself wondering what the best way to cut these flat patterns out is, router or water jet. If I water jet them out, what kind of tolerances can I expect on the holes for location and dia. Can I make them about .12 or so and ream to .125? Or should I go with a little smaller and then match drill, ream, de-burr?

Attachments

• Spar2b.jpg
    Spar2b.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 974
  • Spar2c.jpg
    Spar2c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 833
Back