Zippy Sport

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by rbrochey, Dec 14, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 14, 2017 #1

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Sometimes when I'm waiting for my shop to warm up I look around on my computer at airplanes I like... I have wondered in the past why more people aren't building that beautifully designed, stout Zippy Sport??

ZippyAir-4.jpg

2. Dec 14, 2017 #2

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Yep; One of my all-time favorite fantasies and I teased myself with a variation some years ago… Ironically I just dug up my plans again this week to play “what if” games with my head. The plans themselves are a work of art, but that little bird has always tugged at me…

3. Dec 14, 2017 #3

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It's a great airplane, it suffers the same problems as most of the other scratch builts.

Very few people scratch build.

BoKu likes this.
  4. Dec 14, 2017 #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

There's a welder somewhere up there in Wisconsin who can fix a big part of that problem... :)

We are very fortunate here on HBA to have the original designer of that aircraft as a frequent participant in our discussions. The rights to that design are now owned by someone else.

Perhaps we could ask the Zippy's designer if he cared to create a newer version of this airplane, different enough to not be a legal problem with the original Zippy rights. Sheet metal, or wood, or plastic, or tube and gusset... but somehting that fits the same mission. That could make an ideal aircraft for the the O-100 engine and perhaps others.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Little Scrapper and rbrochey like this.
  5. Dec 14, 2017 #5

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Looks like a enjoyable build. My Cassutt is taking so long it may be my last at the rate I'm going. Wish I had more time.

Zippy Sport could do rather well will some marketing. There's opportunity everywhere in this industry I feel. If I had the rights to Zippy I know exactly what I'd do, it's amazing how many people have rights to great designs and do virtually nothing. I suppose most of the rights holders are committed to full time jobs, family health etc. Not easy at all.

6. Dec 14, 2017 #6

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

Yes, I agree with you all....Victor Bravo, If I had the energy today that I did then, I would be doing a variant on the Zippy.....
    I live today in South Carolina, but I have a place in Ohio that was the family airstrip. That is where Zippy Sport #001, N81ZS lives. I gave the airframe to my son maybe 15 years ago. He is now becoming a pilot, so ya never know, maybe I will re-build it for him...
    Sitting right next to it is the last Zippy effort that I built. It is 'Zippy 2', a larger, roomy, side by side airframe, that looks much like the little Zippy, but could be mistaken for a Daphne, a Tailwind, or a Buttercup. Fuse and tail are welded up, wings glued up. but the designer and builder is 660 miles south, with little time or energy....
    Maybe somebody would like to do something with it? My problem is not enthusiasm, but energy and health issues. I currently live on an airpark, have nothing to fly, but own the following 'Projects'.....Zippy 2, Varmint #001, Varmint #002, Mong Sport #002, Cassutt 11M, Veebee #001, Sonerai 1 N14CT, and pieces of Pack 'Johnny Reb' Oh Yeah, then theres Dad's Stits Skycoupe, and Mom's Piet....
    Certainly more projects to finish than I ever will have time for....

rbrochey and ToddK like this.
  7. Dec 14, 2017 #7

pilot103

pilot103

pilot103

I saw the green Zippy at a small Ohio flyin must be at least 25 years ago. At the time I was looking for a kit 2 seater but really like the Zippy.

8. Dec 14, 2017 #8

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

The green Zippy was originally the blue N83ZS that I sold to Green sky Adventures, along with the design rights. That airplane took third place in the ARV design contest in OSH in 1983 or thereabouts.....Today that airplane probably has 1400 logged hours, and is apart for re-cover last I knew.....

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  9. Dec 15, 2017 #9

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Any idea how many Zippy Sport plans GSA sells? Just curious if people are still buying plans...??

10. Dec 15, 2017 #10

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I'm buying a set of plans after the first of the year simply because I want to see how it's made... I imagine it with the doors (door) removed and giant tundra tires... it's toughness is what appeals to me.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  11. Dec 15, 2017 #11

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

But it looks to me (unqualified amateur at best) like the airplane was not designed as a bushwhacker. The wing looks a little sleek and thin to me for a STOL airplane (which usually goes hand in hand with the bushwhacker concept).

Ed I can't address any time or health issues, but as far as being too tired I'll cheerfully send you three cases of Red Bull or 5 Hour Energy drinks if you want to design a sheet metal pop rivet Zippy 3 :) Sheet metal would allow a single strut wing like a Tailwind or Cessna. The higher aspect (shorter chord) wings, plus a Wilson (Avid) style rearward wing fold method, would yield an airplane narrower than an Avid, with a fair chance of it being able to fit into a legal width trailer. Today's routers or laser machines would cut the parts cleco-ready with ease. Seems like it would be an airplane that would be worth building to more than a few people.

12. Dec 15, 2017 #12

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

That's a great idea... a Zippy III...

13. Dec 15, 2017 #13

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

Would be a fun project, I am sure. I have always admired well designed aluminum and pop rivet airframe construction....
    The Zippy was never intended to resemble a bush plane in any way. I just wanted to squeeze as much out of 30 h.p. that I could, and it does that well. The fact that others see a different mission for the airplane is good and healthy. Everything can be 'adapted'.....
    Victor Bravo...Thanks for the offer, but I don't know if I have another full development program left in me!! Look at the list of projects I spoke about...I have a reason to want to finish each one, but know there is not enough time......

14. Dec 15, 2017 #14

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I understand, I was just pulling your chain... I know you're perfectly capable of deciding which projects/programs that you do or do not have time/energy to pursue. Just throw me into that really big pile of people who like the looks, concept, and capability of the airplane.

rbrochey likes this.
  15. Dec 15, 2017 #15

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

Thanks to all for the compliments.....I think I sold around 50 sets of plans before selling the design to Gerry at Green Sky...Don't know how many he has sold since then........But he's been the owner of the design since the Mid 80's......

16. Dec 15, 2017 #16

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Somebody anti up the cash and contact Gerry to sell you the rights.

If Ed invented a ultralight that looked cool, like the Pelican but with true folding wings I'll commit to $5,000 in funds for some skin in the game.

17. Dec 15, 2017 #17

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Which Pelican? Can think of three real quick and they are all different.

18. Dec 15, 2017 #18

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

It's not fair to take it this far off topic, I apologise. Here is a photo but really this deserves it's own thread.

Screenshot_20171215-154203.jpg

19. Dec 16, 2017 #19

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

My Skylite Ultralight could be modified to have folding wings I suppose......and the design could be sold as well....

20. Dec 16, 2017 #20

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

You have my attention

rbrochey likes this.