WWII replica plans available in 2021?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Take a look at this cutaway and 3-view, the pilot is already very close to sitting on the main spar, it’s totally doable with a light engine and/or a prop extension. Cheat the cockpit a little aft and the wing a little forward and you’re all good. Maybe use a 100 hp Aeromomentum AM13 or other small Suzuki conversion? I’ve even got my color scheme all picked out.

AC72BADE-C5A6-40DA-8B16-94E6FFB17C56.gif
43071CB0-21AD-4523-84D8-71440B8AE1A7.png
1649533777875.png

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Cheat the cockpit a little aft and the wing a little forward and you’re all good.
I think I'd rather fiddle with the wing and the tail volume to move the CG. Maybe a little more chord towards the aft end, a little change in stabilizer size, a little different sweep...lots of ways to move CG around without getting away from the general proportions of the original. Still, it's a replica, so a certain amount of liberty has to be figured in.

Saville

If you need weight up front, what about a beefy metal (tubular?) bathtub from the back of the cockpit forward for pilot protection. Something along the lines of the A-10 bathtub though it doesn't have to be solid nor made from Titanium.
You'd want something to prevent the engine from ramming forward in the event of a crash anyway.

Make the entire structure from the back of the cockpit to the prop one solid, very strong cage that survives even if the wings and tail are mashed.

Last edited:

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Just for grins, I'm going to put a P39 canopy on my H5 build. Rework the turtle deck and do a molded 3 piece canopy. This drawing is of the conventional gear, so maybe an Airabonita instead, or build it tri gear and reshape the rudder/V-stab for a more 40s outline. Tack on some fake exhaust stacks and a little custom fiberglass cowling, who knows, it might be cute!

1649539250980.png

Saville

Remote avionics, dual batteries, hydraulic pumps for the gear, beefy nosegear, landing lights, antennae, oxygen bottle, air vents for the pilot and attendant tubing - all up front.

Put everything you can think of up front.

Hawk81A

If one insists on the rear / mid mounted engine, look again at the cutaway drawing. The original P-39 (and P-63) had the radiator cooling ducts mounted at the roots of the wings. Using this, one could mount an opposed air cooled engine low and behind the pilot and duct the cooling air through the wing spars and back to the engine. OR a Subaru conversion or even Rotax opposed 4 stroke could be used. Dennis

Bigshu

Supporting Member
If one insists on the rear / mid mounted engine, look again at the cutaway drawing. The original P-39 (and P-63) had the radiator cooling ducts mounted at the roots of the wings. Using this, one could mount an opposed air cooled engine low and behind the pilot and duct the cooling air through the wing spars and back to the engine. OR a Subaru conversion or even Rotax opposed 4 stroke could be used. Dennis
Are you reading my mind? I thought about using a Corvair conversion mounted in the original spot, using the wing root ducting for the cylinder and oil cooler air flow. Still have to figure out the drive shaft vibe dampening. And the redrive, though I shouldn't need any reduction with the Corvair.

Hawk81A

Great minds think alike ;). Back in the day, I've owned about 25 Corvairs (the cars, pickups, vans). A few years back I completely rebuilt the engine in a 65 Greenbriar van that a friend's wife had bought. Corvair + P-39. Nader would hate it. Dennis

flitzerpilot

Based on the 'proposed ' XP-77/P-39 hybrid and the later question whether an early Yak type was similar; in fact the early Yaks right up to the Yak-9 T tank-buster all had relatively forward located cockpits. But the closest long-nosed production Russian fighter of the day was the MiG 3. I've looked at this for a Jabiru flat 6 installation but the Aeromomentum or even a Rotax could be buried within the nose behind the relatively large spinner. Indeed, due to the bilateral supercharger intakes, even a Corvair could work. I did design a fixed gear monoplane 'fighter trainer' around a Corvair and built a small model to see how such an installation might look. As the Corvair only measures 29" across the rocker covers (compared to about 32" for a VW) i think is looks OK if these are considered to be similar to the intakes on the MiG 3. I attach some speculative drawings of this, the 'Baturin SK35', and of the MiG 3 to 60% scale with a close-up of the MiG nose included for ref. (The 'kink' in the frontal aspect of the Baturin drawing wing is an illusion.)

Incidentally one Yak 1 (or 3) example was built with large flame-damping exhaust covers which look exactly like the fairings for an air-cooled flat 4 or 6 installation. Unfortunately it was a one-off, so if built as a scaled-down fighter with a Corvair, most people would think it was a failed attempt at authenticity.

Attachments

• Mig3 60& three-quarter view.jpg
    Mig3 60& three-quarter view.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 19
  • mig3_fs_7.jpg
    mig3_fs_7.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
  • MiG3front60pc.jpg
    MiG3front60pc.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 20
  • MiG3side60pc.jpg
    MiG3side60pc.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 21
  • MiG3top60pc.jpg
    MiG3top60pc.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 21
  • MiG-3 nose detail.jpg
    MiG-3 nose detail.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Baturin1.jpg
    Baturin1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Baturin SK35.Drg.jpg
    Baturin SK35.Drg.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Baturin wing construction.jpg
    Baturin wing construction.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Baturin SK 35.jpg
    Baturin SK 35.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 19

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Lynn, that Baturin "fighter trainer" is great, definitely captures the spirit of the Soviet designs of the era without being a replica of any one aircraft. Presumably a Suzuki conversion might also work, something like the Aeromomentum AM13 or AM15 or the equivalent AirTrikes models. The asymmetry of the canted, low-profile models (AM13 below) would not scream "there's a flat engine under here".

1649678779198.png

flitzerpilot

Yes, Matt. The Aeromomentum opens up a new field for water-cooled scaled fighter types in its 'inclined' form and in upright mode will serve well for WW1 machines. The exhaust system and silencer could be avoided and just stubs emerge from one side for the inclined motor with mock-up pipes (and exhaust stains) on the opposite side the nose. That would suit an inverted 'V' simulation, such as on an Me 109.

ScaleBirdsScott

The AM engines could be setup with all sorts of intake and exhaust confabulations as needed for a variety of warbirds.

I'm more and more a fan of wanting to build a little Yak-3. After seeing the Czech-made replica on Youtube, it looks so appealing.