Wiring

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Louis, Oct 25, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1

Louis

Louis

Louis

Currently completing home built project and up to the stage of closing wings. Have limited knowledge of wiring and will get help later but need to complete wiring for wingtip strobes. Have purchased AVEO Ultra Aurora LED Wingtip strobes and want to purchase and fit wiring but not sure what to buy and where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
    Rob

2. Oct 25, 2011 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Your strobes should have come with amp and/or wattage specs, and a recommendation for wire size and type. Not being familiar with your particular lights I can't say if they might need shielded wire or not. I suspect not being LEDs.

If wire recommendation was not included work backwards from the current draw to determine what wire size and breaker amperage will be appropriate. You can them buy enough Tefzel insulated aircraft grade wire and whatever end connections are needed to mate with the lights.

For more information than you will likely need, see this guys site:

AeroElectric Connection - Published Works by Bob Nuckolls

and specifically this article to get you started:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/wiresize.pdf

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #3
  4. Oct 30, 2011 #4

Louis

Louis

Louis

Thanks guys for the comments and information. Unfortunately the lights were supplied with no specs or installation directions at all.

Now on a big learning curve.

From what I can see if I use 18 gauge wire size should be no problem at all given the low amps rating.