• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wingtip shape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Over on the Kolb list there's currently a lively discussion on wingtip shapes. One of the members posted a link to this 1923 NACA report on swept wingtips. The results are interesting, though not dramatic, and the shape would visually suit the ultralight biplane I'm designing (evocative of a pre-WWI pusher biplane, though not a historical replica).

However, I wonder that the effect would be on stall? I'd hate to build a plane with any nasty tendencies to tip stalling, as swept or sharply tapered wings tend to be prone to, I'm using a 23012 airfoil... not known for the gentlest stall in the first place, but it does quite well on many aircraft with rectangular wings (e.g. Taylorcraft). Actually I want a clean stall for snap rolls and spins, and the aerobatic purpose of this design rules out any washout.

Interestingly, the same concept has been successsfully applied to propellers. I made a similar mod to one of my paramotor, and saw a minor improvement in fuel consumption.

-Dana

Most politicians aren't crooks, but the ones that are sure are making the other 10 percent look bad.

Back