• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Area And Stall Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaEagle

ok from my post in fabrics and alternative covering methods i have another question for you guys that a few have brought to my attention.

its regarding wing area and stall speed. here are the basic stats and objectives i want to meet with my design:

Y-DA-40a EZLite
parasol design
length: 18ft
wing span: 32ft
cord: 60"
airfoil: Clark Y
landing gear: spring steel or aluminum if i can work it.
engine: Compact Radial Engines, MZ34, depending on where you look, 27.5-30HP at 45lbs with electic start and pull cord.
prop: 54-60" wood fixed prop.
design targets: 1) ease of construction so that a person with little or no building experience can safely and confidently build my design. 2) want to be able to lift a pilot of 300lbs, assuming the aircraft comes in at an empty weight of 254lbs, a fuel load of 30lbs, i want an operational load of 584lbs. would like my UL to be a viable alternative to a pilot that has lost his medical but still wants to fly. 3) competitively priced kits in the range of $6,000 to $8,0000.

it has been brought to my attention that the wing area of 160sq ft may not be enough to achieve 24mph stall speed. i don't have a problem lengthing the wings more. but i figured at 32ft span was pretty long! truth be told i would be more comfortable with about an extra 4ft on each wing. and at a 60" cord not sure i can go much longer then that. what gives more lift in this case, a longer span or a longer cord? i am figuring its a combination of the two.

also i am assuming that Part 103 stall speed and max speed are derived from the average wight of a pilot of 170lbs. i can assume that a pilot weighing 300lbs is going to have a much higher stall speed then a much lighter pilot. but what do the "reg" say in this regard? MUST the plan fly within the speed limits regardless of the pilot flying the plane? so say if a 130lbs pilot can fly the craft at a stall speed of say 23mph but a 300lbs pilot has a stall at 33mph. is the aircraft still considered an UL? my logic says yes as the only variable that changes is the pilot.

Back