• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Which plane to scratch build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdnMedic

I know there are lots of these threads, heck I started one years ago on here... Nearly a decade ago. Things sure change up in that amount of time.

I'm now an aircraft structures tech in the RCAF working on our CH146 griffon helicopters. Things involved in my career are working with aluminum for aircraft part fabrication and repairs, composite repairs, refinishing, textiles, and we do welding for off-aircraft work so I have experience (not a huge abundance of) welding with oxy, TIG, MIG etc... So, I have a really well rounded set of skills, and access to all types of help between the guys I work with, the Bell engineers and the odd shop fixture if I need something... I'm not so sure I could convince anyone to come over on a weekend to help me buck rivets though. I would prefer to work in aluminum... Which is why the tailwind is not on my list.

I now am a homeowner and will have a newly rebuilt shop next summer (24x26). I do have a Trans Am project car that is nearing a state of completion to where it is no longer a priority build... So really, I'm in the place and time in my life to start a build on an aircraft, a 20+ year dream.

What I want in an airplane: Fast-ish (cruise at 120mph+), aerobatic capable (rolls, loops, 8s that sort of stuff) and on the cheaper end of things. I do have a gf, so a two seater would be a bit of a help in convincing her that this is a good idea. The ability to cross country would be nice, mind you, I can pack with nearly nothing for a weekend away. I used to do long trips on a sport bike, so I do not need extreme comfort. Maybe once a year we would fly from New Brunswick back to Southern Ontario to visit that weekend BBQ that started this years ago. Other routine trips would probably be to other maritime locations of just shorter 2 hour flights or so.

My early flight years were real grassroots flying in a Champ off a grass strip. And then one day I saw an RV4 come in for a BBQ weekend and I knew exactly what I wanted my flying to look like... Only I really can't afford the power plant and operating costs.

Planes I've been looking at are the Sonerai series, and I would be sold on doing a Sonerai 2 with a 912 if it weren't for the fact I have to pilot it from the rear seat... It bothers me enough that I would ditch the second seat and just build a single seater but then, the gf may be less enthused about this. If I did a single place Sonerai I would use one of the larger VW engines, which really cuts out the cost of that 912.
Now that Sonex has released the B model, I can plans build the A model. I'm more confident in the fuselage portion of the build since it's just stressed skin design and not the rag and tube... But, The air frame build is a bit more expensive. The only parts I can see myself ordering pre-built are the spars (we only have a 6' brake) and the canopy and cowling. Bonus is it's a 2 seater with a better seating position and a larger dash for a nicer layout. I would also likely run a 912 in this aircraft.

Sorry for the ramblings, I'm just making sure I'm not missing out on another aircraft that fits my needs.

Back