• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Which plane should I buy for time building? Second owner homebuilt edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisadviceisworthles

I'm looking to build time toward a part 135 or 121 job. Eventually, I plan to build my own airplane, but thats not in the cards.

On many forums, if anyone suggests buying a homebuilt, the responses tend to range from "You are going to kill yourself" to "Anything other than an RV is not worth considering".

The problem is (while RVs are great planes) there are a lot of good homebuilts out there that are not RVs, and they do not get the attention they deserve.

So I pose the question on a forum with more knowledge of homebuilt airplanes.

If I am looking to build time by buying a secondhand homebuilt, what planes should I look for?

Some requirements:
Carry myself (240lbs) and baggage (25lbs) plus minimum 3 hours of fuel
The ability to get liability insurance (a requirement to get a tie down at my local airport)
Easy to work on (well documented)
Safe and reliable
Cabin Heat (as much as I hate to count out Flybabies and Baby Aces, I want to fly in the winter too)

I am mostly looking at 2 seat (because of the 265lb+fuel requirement), but also considering single seaters).

My budget is <$20K

Thanks for contributing your expertise!

Back