Where are the fast high wing LSA kits?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by KevinThorp, Nov 4, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 11, 2008 #81

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

From the looks of it, I'd say 'alittle of both'.

2. Dec 14, 2008 #82

JerryC

JerryC

JerryC

Getting back to the original thread. I think the question could be rephrased, why are there STOL high wing metal LSA's kits but no "fast". The STOL configuration generally ads lift at the expense of speed.

What if I don't care about landing on a dirt strip on the plateu of a mesa or some box canyon somewhere? I would rather have the extra 20 kts.

In the LSA catagory there are metal stol high wings. There are metal low wings. There are metal mid wings. There are even metal non-stol high wings. All but the last can be found in a kit or plans.

It isn't a question of engineering because the plane I envision already exists. Basically it is the AMD Patriot, with perhaps a lighter engine, jabiru or rotax.

This isn't rocket science is it? Well, er....maybe it is.

3. Dec 14, 2008 #83

addaon

addaon

addaon

The question seems to have been answered, although you may not like the answer. The existing kit plane manufacturers apparently don't see enough of a market to cover development costs. This fails to surprise me, personally; the STOL / high-wing association is strong in many pilots' minds.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #84

Mooney

Mooney

Mooney

You may have already heard this Jerry, but if you haven't, the AMD Patriot has been canceled....they had problems with their supplier down in Brazil (?) and won't be making the aircraft. Instead look for the CH750....Another STOL high wing!

5. Dec 25, 2008 #85

MalcolmW

MalcolmW

MalcolmW

Hello,

well, it seems that Pipistrel decided to upgrade the Virus SW to meet the challenge of producing a high speed LSA - although its published performance would certainly disqualify it for being a LSA. The newsletter release (I suspect it got out before it was supposed to) doesn't indicate whether they're going to offer a kit version, but probably will.

See: Sinus Virus and Taurus Motorgliders by Pipistrel for info on the production version of the aircraft that did well in the NASA CAFE competition.

Now this aircraft intrigues me. It's both fast and economical.

Fly safe.

MalcolmW

6. Dec 26, 2008 #86

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

7. Jul 28, 2014 #87

DOMIT

DOMIT

DOMIT

8. Jul 29, 2014 #88

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Earl has been much more conservative with LSA claims for the Buttercup than many builders/designers/marketers…

So long as the builder in not using a certified engine, “maximum sustained power” will be whatever the builder needs to employ to keep under the FAA speed threshold (erroneously read as maximum speed, by some). And with 130 square foot of moderately high-lift wing, the 51mph stall is undoubtedly conservative compared to many as well…

I like the Buttercup, started to build one once, but…