• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW engine in ragwing RW11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E28POWERM20

I trying to plan out my build of a Ragwing RW11 Ragabond 2 seater. The specs call for a Rotax 503 or equivelant(under 100lbs). I don't mind using a 2-stroke engine, and there are plenty of nice models out there, and they make good power. The issue I have is the additional work of having to monitor it closer than a 4-stroke. The fuel consumption is also higher on the 2-stroke. Not to mention it doesn't sound quite right. So, the issue I have is the weight of the VW, which is about 40lbs heavier for the full VW engine without starter and alternator, 60lbs more with starter/alt. I considered a 1/2 VW, but I don't know if 40-45hp is enough, I do live at sea level though. I already won't have a lot of useful load(425lbs), which would be worse with a VW, as well as possibly causing CG issues, though my plans have provisions for a heavier engine by lengthening the fuselage, which will also hurt my useful load. It only has a gross weight of 850lbs, but I think I still need at least 50hp to have safe performance, 60+hp would be ideal. I also looked at the HKS 700E, but $10K? Too steep for me. Is there an option I forgot about?

Ian

Back