• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Twin Engine Configuration Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranchero

I've been looking at some twins with the tractor engines mounted closely together like the Grumman XF-5F, DeHavilland Hornet, and Fw-189. It seems like good solution to minimize asymmetric thrust and it puts the prop blades out of harm's way.

Rutan used a variation of this configuration on his Pond Racer.

Against this, the design limits the volume of the forward fuselage, the engine mounts have to be pretty long, it's noisy, and there must be some interference between the props (?).

A number of German WW2 bombers (Ju-88, Do-17) had the engines mounted well forward and I wonder how they managed the weight & balance with that engine placement and the entire crew forward of main spar. I'd guess it was the long aft fuselage (?).

What are the drawbacks to this design aerodynamically, mechanically, and in terms of weight & balance?

Back