• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tip for economical designing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Othman

If you're designing your own aircraft, then you probably have an aircraft spruce catalog (or similar) to look up available/common materials, dimensions, and costs.

While doing this, I noticed that there is little consistancy with material pricing (reference Aircraft Spruce and Wick's Aircraft catalogs) . I expected that costs for raw material would varry somewhat linearly with size. In some cases I found this to be true, in others I found really non-linear price scales or "willy nilly" price scales.

It appears that commonly used sizes are priced higher than others (supply and demand). You can realize some serious cost saving if you are careful to design your structure with this in mind. Sometimes going one-size-up can reduce your costs (contrary to intuition) with a small weight penalty.

Thought I'd share that with you all. Perhaps some of you have some other tips.

Back