Quantcast

Thundergull

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

REVAN

I wonder if a Thundergull would fly on 4 RC model airplane turbines?
Instead, just use one rc helicopter turbine engine to spin a decent size prop. I've seen free-turbine shaft drive rc helicopter engines in the low 20HP range. A 22HP engine would surely power a Thundergull, especially since the engine swap would probably knock about 20 pounds off the empty weight of the airplane. Also, I have not looked in a year or two. There may very well be more powerful engines available now than when I last looked.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I have also wondered why the larger R/C helicopter turboshaft systems were not used on small E-AB aircraft to run a propeller.
$$$$$$ Mucho dinero. Demasiado. $$$
And more $$ $$$. $$$$ for continuing operations.

Note: Something is f#€h omg with my post. Free speech is no longer possible with AI interventions.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I agree, a 20 ft spanning motorglider would probably perform very well for an R/C model. You might be able to win numerous R/C model contests with it. Or you could have it piloted by a small Chihuahua or Rhesus Monkey, and it would achieve very good soaring performance.

I have actually once flown a 20 ft spanning motorglider myself, it was designed by the same aircraft engineer who designed the aircraft in the photos above. It had an unusual feature for motorgliding... after climb to gliding altitude, the propeller spinner departs from its mounting and strikes the propeller. This feature causes a very effective warning alarm, which reminds the pilot to shut down the self-launch engine. This results in approximately 45 seconds of memorable gliding flight.

It also provides a delightful souvenir of the gliding experience, the remaining portion of the (post-alarm) propeller, which is suitable for hanging on the wall of your living room.