• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Warlock-Spar Analysis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronkk

Well I finally am serious enough to post an actual analysis of my design (the "Warlock"). It's only the spar though. I have attached a drawing of the construction, a picture of the FEA analysis of stress results and a simplified lay up explanation pic. I also posted a material data table from an old EAA article with the Fiberglass layup data I used. One assumption I am making is that the .025" thick 3" wide unidirectional tape that aircraft spruce sells and I am planning on making the spar caps from has similar or the same properties as the .007" thick Rutan aircraft cloth.

I am designing my plane to be a 26 foot wingspan, 1320 LBS, and LSA compliant. I wish to design around the Utility Category design loads. My intention is to use a NACA 6614 airfoil. I am interested in comments on the spar attach, how I am continuing the side layups around the cap material and anything else I might be doing right or wrong...

You may note that its parallelogram shaped. This is so it follows the airfoil curve at 25% of chord. Also the analysis only included the lifting load not the induced moment or drag forces. I plan on doing a more complete analysis of the entire wing structure in the following few days. I am using Pro-Engineer's FEA (Mechanica) to perform the analysis. It actually has an easy to use shell feature to create layups. :whistle:

Kelly

It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove.-Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Attachments

• naca_6614_spar.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Spar.jpg
    Spar.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Spar 2.JPG
    Spar 2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 358
  • composite_Data.JPG
    composite_Data.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 337