The Sasquatch Flying Club

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I started to buy a Tailwind one time but my feet were to long to work the rudder pedals. Size 13 shoes. I used to own a Zenith 600 and its was not comfortable, felt like my knees were up to my chin. Gave it to one of my smaller grandsons. Designed the JMR Special to fit my other 2 grandsons that are 6'5"x 250/260 lbs. It will take a 300 lb pilot and full fuel and no baggage. Any baggage comes off the pilots weight.

Hephaestus

Curious - anyone tried to squeeze their butts into a Onex?

Ok, I think this is what's getting me on the Onex/Sonex - seems like every one I've ever tried to fit in has an extension rail below the panel.

My Concern with the onex - I know in the sonex my knees are crammed right into the panel (guessing my thighs are 2-3" or so longer than this guys?)

Ran across a basically untouched fast build kit (fuselage crate was opened, aerovee crate was opened) can't say I'm not considering it. Depending on what these new covid restrictions look like...

perrysplus

No, but Jeremy said they have fit tested 6ft 9in tall guy in the Onex. Try the Waiex or a Sonex with a lowered seat, should work fine for you at 6ft 3in tall. I ALMOST fit in a standard Sonex the other day (they are all a bit different) but as you pointed out, when the panel comes down like that it really messes things up. This particular standard Sonex I tried did not have the rail of the panel coming down so my legs were ok, but my head still hit the canopy when it closed with me sitting on one side. If I sit in the middle, I fit fine. Pretty sure there is a standard Sonex for sale near me that is set up for one person...He wants 18K? You would most certainly fit.

Hephaestus

No, but Jeremy said they have fit tested 6ft 9in tall guy in the Onex. Try the Waiex or a Sonex with a lowered seat, should work fine for you at 6ft 3in tall. I ALMOST fit in a standard Sonex the other day (they are all a bit different) but as you pointed out, when the panel comes down like that it really messes things up. This particular standard Sonex I tried did not have the rail of the panel coming down so my legs were ok, but my head still hit the canopy when it closed with me sitting on one side. If I sit in the middle, I fit fine. Pretty sure there is a standard Sonex for sale near me that is set up for one person...He wants 18K? You would most certainly fit.
Dennis' sonex is anything but stock... There's a youtube video where the changes are obvious - panels lifted a good 2-3", and he's actually got a modified seatback that sets him farther back.

I've flown around and tried to squeeze myself into a few built/partially builts for sale now - still debating whether it's worth grabbing one as a starting point and modifying more like Shiny tiny. It kinda fits the mission but only if you make it fit with a big freaking hammer (and a lot of mods the factory dislikes).

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
I bought a completed Onex from a builder who is a bit shorter that I am at 5' 10". My head was touching the canopy and my knees too close to the instrument panel. This was fixed by adding about an inch strip into the sheet metal seat. I weigh about 205 lbs and find the cockpit comfortable. At least comfortable enough to fly it from Oregon to Oshkosh a couple years ago. Several pilots have done a trial fit and girth seems to be more of a problem than height. I will say that it's limited as a cross country machine. There's not a lot or room for baggage or an emergency kit I have an auxiliary fuel tank and gross weight is a limiting factor. With me and some extra fuel all there's room for is a lightweight toothbrush.

I did install a KT-76 transponder and it is on the left fuselage side as there was no room on or under the panel. I have a 2 1/4 round one that will fit in the panel and that will replace the KT-76 one of these days.

Hephaestus

Yeah the Onex is just out for me.

Did kind of make me look harder at the Sonex/Waiex B - especially setup as a 1 seater. Since there's quite a few for sale (kits and complete). Figure I can stand riveting a few mods in more than a full build. It almost makes the numbers, but does come up short on speed and range, especially with a few more HP to push that speed end into the desired range. Panel, FWF, and doing some in the wing tubular aux-fuel tanks seems reasonable. (probably some wing root fillets too since they appear to have been forgotten :) )

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
Does anyone know of flight data from a Sonex/Onex with wing root fillets? I have been told that some RV builders have done WR fillets, but also haven't seen any results data from them.

Vince Homer

Hephaestus

Does anyone know of flight data from a Sonex/Onex with wing root fillets? I have been told that some RV builders have done WR fillets, but also haven't seen any results data from them.

Vince Homer

Only thing I've come across, but the complete lack of attempt at anything bothers my eye and brain. :) And that ones pretty minimalist - just the flap/fuse area.

Edit - looks like he may have asked here first:

Last edited: