The Sasquatch Flying Club

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Tiger Tim, Aug 11, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 11, 2019 #1

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

As Hephaestus said on the Ranger thread:

I too am a Sasquatch pilot at 6’5, size 13 and probably north of 230 so when someone jokes, “That Tim will fly anything,” I unfortunately have to correct them with, “That Tim will fly anything he fits in.” So for the other giants of the forum, what have you found fits and what doesn’t?

My fit list:
    Anything certified, the absolute gold standard being the back seat of a Cub. So roomy back there. I can also squeeze into a short fuselage Aircamper if I take my shoes off and a Corben Super Ace looks like it’s going to work (so excited for that one). I can miraculously jam myself into a Sindlinger Hurricane but haven’t flown it. One Baby Ace at my home field.

The no-fits:
    Jodel D-9, Fly Baby (surprisingly), VP-1 is tight enough to weird me out about trying to operate it. The other Baby Ace on the field.

There are a bunch of others for both lists but I’ve had a long day in the sun and they’re not coming to me right now. What have you other Sasquatches among us found?

2. Aug 11, 2019 #2

Tench745

Tench745

Tench745

My dad and I are both 6'2 with size 15 feet, both under 200. We went to visit Bill Woods and sit in a bunch of Aces. We just managed to cram ourselves into a Jr Ace. Couldn't fit in one Baby, did okay in another. It seems that people (short people) love extending the panel DOWN past the cross-tube in the fuselage and eating up any knee room.

3. Aug 11, 2019 #3

rdj

rdj

rdj

The problem is that fit is a very personal experience. Two pilots can be the same height and weight, but have very different leg and torso lengths and shoulder widths, and what is comfortable for one pilot will be impossible for the other. Being 6'-6" and 200 lbs and size 15 (US) myself, I run into this issue all the time. More than once I've read that a pilot near my height is comfortable in a plane, only to find that the fit is not even close for me when I try the same model on for size. In my experience the only way to really know for sure is to attend the shows, visit the FBO, or find an accommodating owner nearby and try a plane on for size personally before committing to anything. Homebuilts are even worse, because they tend to be customized to the pilot builder, as your experience with the Baby Ace demonstrates.

Also watch out for 'quirks' in some aircraft. For example, I fit just fine in the Pipestrel Sinus. However, the wing spar passes right in my front of my forehead, and the odds of my surviving any turbulence in that plane are rather slim.

4. Aug 11, 2019 #4

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

While I am a bit short of belonging to the true Sasquatch club, I do have big feet and a long torso. I have a special pair of shoes I wear to fly so my big feet don't catch on stuff under the panel and headroom is a problem in many homebuilts.

There is a Baby Ace for sale locally that I tried to get into. The wings are off so I was able to get in without to much trouble. However, my knees are hard against the bottom of the panel. The panel can probably be raised and maybe the rudder pedals can be moved forward for leg room but I really wonder if I can get into one with the wings on? Not a bad price on this one although it hasn't flown for some time. https://westslope.craigslist.org/avo/d/cedaredge-1965-baby-ace/6951525321.html

My flying airplane is a Thatcher CX4. The designer, Dave Thatcher, is tall and says it fits pilots who are 6'4". I am only 6'1". The problem is that Dave is all legs. I am built the opposite. I could fit by removing the cushion and slumping a bit. I raised the canopy so I can use a seat cushion and sit up straight.

I have an Acrosport 1 project airplane that is very roomy in the cockpit. If you are interested in a biplane big people can fit into, you should look at the Acrosport.

5. Aug 11, 2019 #5

BJC

BJC

BJC

The one Baby Ace that I tried on was easier for me to get into than out of. The limited head room, the struts and the wires between the struts make it more challenging with the wings on.

BJC

6. Aug 11, 2019 #6

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I was an A&P in general aviation for a few years and sat in everything I could find. 6'4" approximately 220 lbs. And size 15 shoes. Commander 112 and 114 are awesome! Homebuilts vary but as has been repeated many times know if you are mostly legs or mostly torso. Tailwind and 172 and 182 are nice if you are not too wide. Watch out if the seat is on the spar. If so you might not be able to move it. Also watch for seat back bulkhead which have to be moved.

7. Aug 11, 2019 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

I'm 6' x 230 with a long torso and 13 shoes. Was going to buy a Tailwind and taxing it out found that my feet were to long to operate the rudder pedals and toe brakes because of the fuel tank. Taxied back in and went home with my head down. Always wanted a Tailwind.
    Have two grandsons that most likely end up with my JMR, both are 6' 5" x 250 lbs, I designed the JMR so they will fit. Has both to set in the cockpit while building to make sure.
    Designed the SSSC just to fit me. Bob Barrows (Bearhawk) was going to fly it, but couldn't get his long legs under the instrument panel.

8. Aug 12, 2019 #8

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

I expected it would be a chore to get in and out with the wings on. I am not so flexible anymore either. To bad, it is a neat little airplane.

9. Aug 12, 2019 #9

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

6'6", 225 and size 14. I think I qualify ;)
    I am fairly well balanced legs to torso, so can squeeze into more things than many my height. I do have wide shoulders for my weight, though.

10. Aug 12, 2019 #10

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Wow, I just found out I'm svelte!

11. Aug 12, 2019 #11

bifft

bifft

bifft

6'4", 240-260lbs size 13s. Longish in the torso.
    Haven't got a lot of experience with different planes but what I have flown:

Cessna 152,172 - could just barely fit in. Have to duck under the wings to see off to the side.

Pitts S-2,S-12. This was a real shoe horn me in. My legs interfered with the control stick, so we couldn't get full aileron in. Only 2 hours or so in these.

Schweizer 2-32 This is ostensibly a 3-person glider, but with just me in the front seat and the instructor in back there was plenty of room.

Starduster Too This was open cockpit, so headroom was "unlimited". But with the cushions everybody else used my head sticking about the windshield. The wind really beats you up. Made my own thinner cushion, or use no cushion when flying with parachute. Shoulders just barely fit inside. Left leg hit throttle/mixture controls limiting left aileron deflection.

RV-8A Built this one myself, so used the "Tall pilot option" which increases the recline of the seat back. Still need the rudder pedals all the way forward, but knees don't hit the panel. Can get full stick deflection. Plenty of room for big shoulders. Use no cushion with parachute, or have small cushion for when taking a passenger (haven't flown with it yet, but plenty of time sitting on it). Do have to duck to close the canopy.