The Red Baron

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

1Bad88

I stumbled across The Red Baron (2008) on Netflix this weekend and decided to watch it. I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of the film but it was an intriguing flying movie that is worth the time to watch if you get a chance.

PTAirco

I watched it, but couldn't really get into it. Everything I have read about Manfred von Richthofen portrays a very different character than the one in this movie. Still, at least there is some real flying in there, not 100% CGI.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Couldn't find it, but there is an old thread on HBA discussing this move.
(It seems the search function only looks back a limited span of time.)

Tiger Tim

I watched it, but couldn't really get into it. Everything I have read about Manfred von Richthofen portrays a very different character than the one in this movie. Still, at least there is some real flying in there, not 100% CGI.
I'm going to have to re-watch it, I seem to recall it was all just well done CGI. For the cockpit shots and ground scenes they did make a squadron of beautiful life-size replicas but nothing was airworthy save for probably the scaled-down Jenny that shows up wearing iron crosses in the background of a couple scenes. As for the fighters, they even had their propellers removed and CGI props inserted any time they were to be idling on the ground!

-Tim

1Bad88

I'm just a sucker for flying movies regardless of if they're real or not. I'm going to try to find The Flying Deuces this weekend.

The bombers were really neat to see.

TFF

Cant watch without real airplanes. Will watch Waldo Pepper 1000 times before watching CGI WW1. FlyBoys was horrible; trailer for Red Tails gave me the answer for that one. Even models hung from a string ,you can see, is more realistic. At least they are real dimensional.