The design-a-plane thread

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by Autodidact, May 22, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 2, 2014 #221

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

The generator engines I have repaired, the ones using splash tube only for the top end, generally wear out the pushrods between 500-1000 hrs. Wear out like valves wont move enough to let the engine crank.... We have a couple of mowers that have the larger v twin engines with hyd lifters and oil thru the pushrods. Had to put head gaskets on one the other day, didnt see any appreciable wear on the valvetrain.

2. Jun 2, 2014 #222

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What V-twin has hydraulic lifters?

3. Jun 2, 2014 #223

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

A kohler does for sure. 38 or so hp if I remember right.

4. Jun 2, 2014 #224

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I haven't looked at Kohler much, I think they are more heavy duty than needed ( heavy).
    Because a good generator needs to run for hundreds or thousands of hours without much maintenance.
    For aviation, I don't mind adjusting valves every so often. At average 20 hours a year of flight time, wear isn't a big concern.

akwrencher likes this.
  5. Mar 27, 2015 #225

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Did you get a response for this question regarding the plywood? I have a few sheets of the Midwest Plywood that I m intending for RC plane construction but I have not evaluated it for using in full-size. Just considering it might be useful in built up wing rib construction for gussets. I have started looking at wood for a Wagabond project and was rather surprised at how much wood has gone up in price over the years. Anyone have suggestions how to scientifically test the wood to determine if it would be adequate for homebuilt aircraft applications?

6. Mar 27, 2015 #226

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

I operate a small engine repair shop out of my garage and have come across several interesting engine issues. One of them being a OHV BS engine that blew a head gasket. The problem was that there was a large gap between the head bolts in the area where the push-rods came up thru the head.

After repairing the engine, replace gasket using gasket sealing compound, I sent photo to BS pointing out the problem. Got a e-mail back saying that it is not a problem. I guess that they did not want to accept any claims of poor design.

Richard

7. Mar 27, 2015 #227

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

I've sent the supplier to the hobby shops (Midwest Products) an email; in view of most peoples abject fear of lawsuits, it should be an interestingly worded reply if I get one....

Logically though, if I were Midwest Products, and knowing that supplying hobby shops is a relatively large volume business (compared to homebuilding - a hobby shop in every medium and up size city in America), I would order in bulk from the Finnish birch manufacturers and saw it up for a profit based on volume sales?

8. Mar 28, 2015 #228

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

It would at least be interesting to hear the source of their supplier. With that knowledge it might be possible to learn more about the process used in manufacturing. I plan on doing some destructive testing when I get all of my materials together. I certainly would like to know how others have taken that approach and what methods of testing they used.

9. Dec 9, 2015 #229

airplaneAddict

airplaneAddict

airplaneAddict

I just built a Poorboy, and don't want to stop building.

Here are a few of my ideas

MATO

spaschke likes this.