Quantcast

Thanks for letting me in

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ROYAPPLEBY

I am trying to trace plans for a Luton Minor 4a that I may be restoring soon. Any help would great.

Scooper

HBA Supporter

ROYAPPLEBY

Thanks for that, I have tried the L.A.A today and they say they don't have them, NICE TRY THOUGH

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Edited reply:

I have a set of plans for the L.A.4A Minor, dated February, 1959. I have been thinking of scanning them for preservation, since they are old and somewhat delicate. If you can't find another source, perhaps I can get them scanned and we can make an arrangement.

I thought that Mr. Arthur WJG Ord-Hume was selling plans, but I don't know the gentleman is still with us. I seem to recall that Matthew (aka Cluttonfred) corresponded with him at one point, perhaps he can chime in.

One thing that has interested me is the different types of firewalls that I have seen in photos of various flying examples. Some have the original style slanted firewall, and other have a flat, upright firewall, and look like they may have their VW engines bolted directly to it, as was done in other VW-powered aircraft. That upright style of firewall is not represented in my plans, so I wonder how it was done. I'd be interested in finding out more details. Was there a later plans revision? Were these modifications that were approved only for specific aircraft?

Last edited:

ROYAPPLEBY

Thanks for that I will get back to you as soon as I have seen what I am letting myself in for. ROY

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I corresponded with Mr. Ord-Hume two years ago and he responded right away to my initial question but not to a follow up. At the time he still had a web site -- http://www.ord-hume.net/ -- including a listing of all of his many books but it is no longer up. There was an article by him about his early experiences with the old Aeronca C-3s just a month or two ago in the Light Aviation Association magazine so as far as I know he is still around but perhaps slowing down.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I sent an email to Mr. Ord-Hume at the email address that was on the LAA spec sheet for the Minor, and haven't received a reply. I just sent an old-school letter via USPS and the Royal Mail, and we'll see what I get back.

I also recently received a copy of a couple of Mr. Ord-Hume's books, one of which is The First Home-Built Aeroplanes. This book is mainly comprised of reprints of construction articles published in Practical Mechanics magazine:
1. Flying Flea (1935)
2. Luton LA.4 Minor (1937)
3. Luton LA.4a Minor (1959)
The introduction is a brief history of these two aircraft, and the back story of how the construction articles came to be published in the magazine. It's all very interesting, and the construction articles would be useful reference material for someone doing a restoration. The articles for the minor do not include all necessary details to build the aircraft; they were written under the assumption that the builder would purchase the full plans set.

The introduction also includes the following comment:
The post-war (1950s) Luton LA.4a Minor remains a fully-approved and sound design but since these articles were first published almost half a century ago there have been many detail modifications in a continuous programme of systematic development. If you want to build this aircraft, then you must use a current set of engineering drawings. The articles may, however, give you useful advice on processes and procedures.
Based on that information, I hope to obtain an up-to-date set of drawings.

BrianW

I expected to deliver a swift copy of his obit. But though he must be around 100 years old at least if still alive, I find nothing with a google search. This could only be achieved by intensive weeding of the internet, if that. I am hornswoggled and dumbfounded.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
There is a newsreel video on YouTube showing him tinkering with G-AFIR, the pre-war Minor he rebuilt, leading to the development of the LA.4a.
The video is titled as being from 1953, and the narrator states that Mr. Ord-Hume is 21 years old. That would make him roughly 88 at present. I thought he would have been older than that, myself.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Mr. Ord-Hume received my letter, and replied via email today. His email address has apparently changed, which is why he didn't receive my original inquiry. He has plans available, so I will be ordering a set.

He said he redrew the plans about 20 years ago, after the LAA somehow lost his originals. He digitized those drawings, and now prints them from the digital files. He says he incorporated much of the illustrations and instructions from the magazine articles right into the drawings, so they should be pretty interesting.