• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Straight chrome moly tube landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Bill

I'm looking for any experience with using a simple straight tube for a landing gear on a light ultralight type design.
I keep coming back to this single straight tube concept because of it's simplicity and potential weight savings. I also don't need typical ground clearance for a normal landing gear configuration. (it's ok and even beneficial for the bottom of the fuselage to sit just several inches above the ground.)
The idea is to have a square or larger round tube integrated in the fuselage build. The landing gear would then simply slide through and be supported at each end on delrin bushings or rubber mounts, and attached to keep it from rotating. (yes, planning on having brakes too.)

I know I've seen this type of gear on something but can't remember.. Seems like the skypup has a similar arrangement but if I recall it was a wood beam with axles on bungees.

In doing calculations it seems that having the right amount of flexibility may result in a gear with marginal strength with less that ideal field conditions or imperfect landings.
So it becomes a balancing act of wall thickness, OD, and gear width, to allow the tube to have the right flex but not be too weak.

Just wondering if anyone has used something like this. If so how did you like it?

Back