Spitfire

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Marc W

Somebody was building a full size Spitfire replica at Santa Paula Airport(KSZP) in California. It had a steel tube fuselage and wood wings built to the Jurca plans like Bob Defords. There was an Allison in the back of the hanger. The fuselage was welded and it had some sheet metal panels on it. The wings were almost complete. It has been several years since I saw it. I wonder whatever became of it. Maybe we can send VB to find out? It was in the outside row of hangers east of the restaurant.

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
I helped park this guy in 2015. That prop is really close to the ground; you don’t lift the tail much.
Bob told me had a small number of inches of ground clearance. I'm thinking he said 1 or 2 inches, it was pretty astounding.

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
Supermarine Spitfire, right here in Texas. One of the best replica designs at 90% scale.

With reliable LS V8 power.
That one isn't really 90%, the wings are 75% for example. It is nice looking but the scale is arbitrarily chosen by them. The fuse is closer to 90% long.
Justin

Victor Bravo

Somebody was building a full size Spitfire replica at Santa Paula Airport(KSZP) in California. It had a steel tube fuselage and wood wings built to the Jurca plans like Bob Defords. There was an Allison in the back of the hanger. The fuselage was welded and it had some sheet metal panels on it. The wings were almost complete. It has been several years since I saw it. I wonder whatever became of it. Maybe we can send VB to find out? It was in the outside row of hangers east of the restaurant.
OK, next time I'm there for any reason I'll stroll down that way and ask about the Spitfire replica. The reasons for visiting that airport are numerous, but for some unfathomable reason the restaurant always seems to be involved, and my takeoff performance gets set back a ways when I leave. So I don't think I'll have any difficulty finding the restaurant to start the search for the Spitfire.

Marc W

First Sunday is a good time to go. That way you can walk off lunch while you admire the homebuilts, antiques and other cool airplanes. And there will be people about to ask about the Spitfire. You missed it this month though.