Spitfire

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

flitzerpilot

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a 5/8 scale all-wooden Spitfire V replica, built many-years ago possibly in BC.

I think it was damaged in a forced landing but it is marvellous to see it restored. A most accurate early mark of Spitfire in replica form, ranking alongside Clive DuCros' full size replica of the prototype. A brilliant example

dwalker

My friend has started to finally fly his Spitfire replica again after 16 years of restoring it. I'll be doing a video on this when we get some more flight and formation footage in the early Fall. Power comes from a Buick V-8.
View attachment 113864
The 3.5litre aluminum V8 as used by Buick and Oldsmobile and later sold to Land rover? Land Rover has offered that motor in up to 5litres. I built several of them for my TR-8 and some friends.

rv6ejguy

The 3.5litre aluminum V8 as used by Buick and Oldsmobile and later sold to Land rover? Land Rover has offered that motor in up to 5litres. I built several of them for my TR-8 and some friends.
Yup. I built one of these for a TR-8 years ago. The Rover has some improvements over the Buick. Not a great engine but it's a light engine.

Twister51

My friend has started to finally fly his Spitfire replica again after 16 years of restoring it. I'll be doing a video on this when we get some more flight and formation footage in the early Fall. Power comes from a Buick V-8.
View attachment 113864
Beeeeee-ooootfiul!!! That's gotta be 75 or 80% scale? What HP is the engine?

Pls tell him congratulations for me on all his hard work. That would win a dead-grass award at OSH in a matter of minutes.

Twister51

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a 5/8 scale all-wooden Spitfire V replica, built many-years ago possibly in BC.

I think it was damaged in a forced landing but it is marvellous to see it restored. A most accurate early mark of Spitfire in replica form, ranking alongside Clive DuCros' full size replica of the prototype. A brilliant example
The radiator scoop on only one wing would say it's a Mark I.

rv6ejguy

That scale Spitfire looks so good it must be from the Tally-Ho plans.
Not from plans. 100% designed and built by the original builder in BC AFAIK. Is a real work of art. My friend Tim Wall did not build the plane, but has done major work on re-skinning, painting, engine, redrive and systems. Mark 5s only had one rad. This is scale in almost every dimension, including tail size as far as I know. These are what replicas should look like IMO. We see so many which don't look very good.

Last edited:

flitzerpilot

I read years ago that this was a Mk V replica. The asymmetrical oil and coolant radiators were used until the MK. lX appeared with the bigger Merlin. The MK. Vlll (retractable tailwheel and pointed rudder) appeared later than the lX, the latter being a modified Mk. V airframe. The Va had 8 Browning machine guns (as indicated on this 5/8 replica) wile the VB had cannon. The VC usually featured the tropical Volkes filter, but all the Mk Vs featured the asymmetric cooling layout, identical to that of Mks l and ll.

rv6ejguy

Tim says it's 70% scale, all wood.

This one was also really nice:
although the gear looks a little further apart than stock to me.

And here's the Allison powered one which is stunning:

Marc W

And here's the Allison powered one which is stunning:
It's for sale! You really ought to own this!

SPITFIRE MKIX
SPITFIRE MKIX • $975,000 • OR BEST OFFER! • Full scale replica, plans by Marcel Jurca. Total A/C time 450 hrs. Allison V-1710-89 170 hrs TSMO. Ham standard DC-3 prop.(11'6" dia.) 170 hrs TSMO. ADS-B out. Garmin SL40 com. Two Place. Must sit in cockpit and you will want to buy it! This is as close as you will come to flying a real Spitfire at half the price. Get some friends together and buy this one of a kind warbird! Call 520-831-4143 for more details. • Contact Robert Deford , Owner - located Prescott, AZ United States • Telephone: 520 831 4143 • Posted July 30, 2021 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Images