New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by David Moxley, Jul 17, 2019.
Progress has been a little slow lately do to the holidays & weather , and family.
Today finally finished fitting both sides of the longerons in the tailcone , and riveted them to the bottom skin.
Yesterday I built a 8 ft sheet metal brake that I going to need to bend the spar webs channels for the center section , and outer wings. I found this inexpensive brake on the EAA web sight that a person build. I’m pleased with how it worked. Here are 3 test samples in the picture of metal that I bent , from right to left, right picture, no set back, center 1/8” set back, left 1/4” set back. In the article person describes one 1/8” setback as working the best and it looks like it does. It cost about $350 in Materials to build a brake, not to bad considering what they want for a production Built brake. The worst part of the whole build was drilling the holes in the stainless steel hinge. Had to rent a magnetic drill to do this. Tryed to do it with a hand drill but couldn’t get enough pressure and turn it slow enough to cut through the stainless. Took about a hour to drill 100 holes through the hinge.
Today I built a 23 ft table that I have the center section & outer wing panels layed out on. I just had to get it up off the floor. It about killed me off , but it’s done! I think I’m going to take tomorrow off & recover from this two day building spree I’ve been on ! Having a good stiff drink here this evening ! Sorry for the double pictures.
Need making cap strip’s for the outer wing panels the last 2 weeks. Must have drilled 1000 holes it feel like.Ran out of material to finish making the cap strips. Everything to continue on with them hasn’t arrived. Everything about 3to 4 weeks out . Material for the center sections cap strips should arrive here Friday. Guess if that shows up I’ll work on that. Here’s a few pictures.
Separate names with a comma.