Sound of Silence for Topaz

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

LArzfromarz

Topaz- I know you enjoy all things dead stick but here's one that should make the bush pilot guys happy too-
I know there was thread from someone who was looking to get to their hunting property up north- maybe they'll see this too-

Larz

Last edited by a moderator:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Heh. Thanks for posting it. That's pretty amazing. Similar to how they launch some ultralight gliders in Europe, or here in the States at places like Torrey Pines. Never seen anyone do it with a powerplane before, though. Love the "Ahhh, man" at 0:22. That's the sound of someone realizing that they just may be doing something incredibly dumb. :gig:

Work out the numbers and it's a 3.52 L/D for the flight. Just goes to show that every airplane is a glider. Some are just better gliders than others. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

steveair2

Log Member
That's funny, my uncle is building a Highlander and Topaz has about got me convinced that I need a ultralight glider. That Torrey Pines gliding looks like some serious fun.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The main sailplane airport at Torrey is, indeed, in jeopardy. The school (I think it's UCSD, but not sure about that) that owns all the land thereabouts wants to build a new complex of buildings in a location that's directly in the approach path for the runway. They don't necessarily want to get rid of the sailplane ops there, they just want to build their building where they want to build it. If that means it's in the way of the sailplane ops, then too bad, so sad. I heard some rumors a few weeks back that there is a possibility of realigning the sailplane runway to allow operations to continue, but I have no hard knowledge of that. It's just a rumor someone told me.

The paraglider/hangglider/ultralight glider ops off the cliffs like you see in the videos above shouldn't be affected, and may ultimately be the only remaining soaring operations at Torrey.

And yes, ridge-soaring those ultralight gliders would be a blast. The ULF-1 would be perfect for those kind of ops, I would think.

Group Builder