Snoshoo SR-1 Reno Formula 1 Racer

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by Tantrum1, Mar 14, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 11, 2019 #41

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Well the friend of mine that is also helping out with our build has just finish load testing our complete carbon fiber horizontal stabilizer with 550 lbs. He's a wizard with this stuff! Anyhow we hope to install this when were finished the wing with the exception of installing the bottom skins, for TC inspection criteria.
    IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2125.JPG IMG_2126.JPG

2. Apr 22, 2019 #42

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Well had a great weekend in the shop! Very productive! We have officially completed the sanding of the wing to profile! It took a lot of effort to get it as perfect as we could. Then we fitted the bottom skins to trace the outline so we can mask for varnish and glue, as well as set locations for wing inspection panels. We also got a start on our wing tips. Next will be to finish the wingtip blocking then bond in the top skins! Really hoping to have the top skins in by the weekend!
    As usual thanks for stopping by! IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPG IMG_2154.JPG
    Mark

3. May 5, 2019 #43

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Well I've been working my full time job all weekend, but have tomorrow off and will be spending the entire day in the shop. Hoping that tomorrow will be a big day. Plans are to match fillet/scarf sand the trailing edges to the ribs and the lower skin. If I can get that done, then we will be all set to start in on permanently installing the top skins.
    Thanks for stopping by my little corner of torment!
    Mark
    IMG_2188[1].JPG IMG_2189[1].JPG

4. May 7, 2019 #44

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

More progress being made yesterday! We were able to finish profile sanding the wing ribs to trailing edge strips to lower skins. This was an important step to make sure we had a smooth as well as large bonding area when bonding the lower skin on to the wing and were it meets the top skin. Found a couple low spots that were more then what my personal preference is happy with, so I bonded in some filler blocks and will sand them to profile later this afternoon and then should be ready for top skin installation! These pics were taken before we finished, so these pics still show a bit left to go.
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Mark
    IMG_2192[1].JPG IMG_2193[1].JPG

5. May 14, 2019 #45

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Well it finally happened this past weekend, we were able to get the top wing skins bonded in place! It was nerve racking, and it almost came down to the last ounce of glue. I really thought I had enough to do it and have enough remaining to do a few other small pieces I have left. But after everything was done I only have 3 ounces of unmixed glue remaining! but it all worked out and am rather pleased with the results. This evening I will begin pulling staples out and flip the wing over to do a close inspection of how everything laid down and to ensure proper squeeze out and no gaps. Next project is to fit and install the complete tail section so I can start ordering cables and fabricate the elevator controls.
    As usual, thanks for stopping by!
    Mark
    IMG_2200[1].JPG IMG_2201[1].JPG IMG_2202[1].JPG IMG_2203[1].JPG IMG_2206[1].JPG IMG_2207[1].JPG

Attached Files:

6. May 21, 2019 #46

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Well we pulled the tack strips up and was able to get the wing out of the jig and into a stand to inspect all the glue joints for even squeeze out, and to make sure there are no voids. We did very well! Happy to say we finished the detailed inspection with no defects noted! So now we set the wing aside for a couple weeks while we fit and rig the tail assembly to the fuselage so we can fabricate the pushrod tube for the elevator system and take measurements for the rudder cables. Once we get that finished I can order the cables, and then move back to installing all the internals in the wings and prep it for interior varnish and wing close out inspection with the MD-RA (Transport Canada)
    IMG_2263[1].JPG IMG_2258[1].JPG IMG_2259[1].JPG IMG_2261[1].JPG

7. Jun 17, 2019 #47

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Good morning all. Well I've been away for work for 2 weeks, got home on a Friday evening then left for Reno the following Sunday afternoon. Was there for a week then back home. Spent the week taking care of a few things around the house and was able to finally get back into the shop this weekend. Being out of the shop for a month has set me back a bit so I don't think were going to make it to Reno races this September with our racer. Which I think is the smart thing, prevents me from rushing to get it done and tested, maybe before its ready. So I will continue with my rigorous build schedule as planned and when its done its done. Things are really shaping up to be a fast airplane! I've taken a few suggestions from some smart people in this forum as well as added a few things of my own. More to follow!
    But here we have the mock up for my rudder pedals with the brake master cylinders. This is just mock up and fitting, more adjustments to be made yet.
    As always thanks for stopping by!
    Mark
    IMG_2477.JPG IMG_2478.JPG IMG_2479.JPG

8. Jul 8, 2019 #48

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Got a bit more progress on the go, was able to get some flat pattern layout done for the wing mounted aileron mount brackets. And was able to get the aileron slots cut out.

IMG_2499.JPG IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2524.JPG IMG_2525.JPG