Snoshoo SR-1 Reno Formula 1 Racer

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tantrum1

Log Member
Above you can see a little rudder action!

It was a productive weekend in the shop! We were able to get a section of the wing skin over lap cut out. This is a bigger deal then what some think. most of the time I am a 1 man show, so to be able to flip the wing over by myself is not an option, so was able to get another mechanic in the shop with me on Saturday and flip the wing over to cut the over lap out. Then flip it again. Was able to glue in the wing root reinforcements on the right hand side. I did this so I won't damage the wing when sitting on it in this position to get in and out of the airplane. Also got the vertical stabilizer and rudder installed and rudder cables run. Also spent a little time making the fuselage cable outlet fairing, however I haven't pulled that out of the mold just yet to see if its going to work.
Thanks for stopping by!
Mark

IMG_3008[1].JPG IMG_3009[1].JPG IMG_3010[1].JPG IMG_3011[1].JPG IMG_3004[1].JPG IMG_3005[1].JPG IMG_3006[1].JPG IMG_3012[1].JPG IMG_3013[1].JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all, another good weekend in the shop. Was able to get some wing skin trimming done, and get the wing in a good position to lower it onto the chassis for rough rigging of the internal wing aileron push rod tubes. I just need to fabricate the wing incident blocks and trim out the trailing edge of the wing skins a bit more and then lower it down and then figure out what I need for spacing blocks on the aft spar.
Thanks for looking!

IMG_3025.JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all, it was a good weekend all around in the shop. Its funny how the small/simpler tasks more often then not take the longest. Was able to get the lower wing skin access/inspection panels done and bonded in. Made the panels and mounting rings out of carbon and then a layer of carbon/Kevlar mix. Not overly fond of the Kevlar/carbon mix but turned out pretty good in the end. I only used the Carbon/Kevlar mix because I had it and hadn't used it before and was using it as a learning experiment, and this part I would have been ok re-doing out of straight carbon or plywood if it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. All in all a good learning lesson and more progress, slowly slugging forward!

IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_3031.JPG IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3042.JPG

As always, Thanks for stopping by!
Mark

Tantrum1

Log Member
Well this weekend we hit a Major milestone!
I haven't around or been posting much lately as we have been very busy in the shop, preparing for the first of 2 Transport Canada Mandated inspection imposed on amateur build aircraft here in Canada. On sunday we had the MD-RA out to the shop to conduct the "pre-close" inspection of our build. I stressed quite a lot about this inspection as I've many horror stories about these inspections, as well as have had to deal with aircraft that have been involved with some of these horror stories. Well we are pleased to say that we passed! We are now able to proceed all the way to a completed aircraft! Received my Data Plate. We are going to go and get in engraved today and then submit to Transport Canada for our C of R! We are extremely excited! Also to add to the excitement this months issue of "Canadian Aviator Magazine" has an article in it on us and our build! Pretty exciting times! Now the real work can continue!

As usual, thanks for stopping by!
Mark

Tantrum1

Log Member
Good morning and happy Monday to all! I hope you all had a great weekend. Well we had a good weekend in the shop! We were able to get the aileron system “rough rigged”. Got some excess glue removed and cleaned up. And got the wing incident plates roughed out. Still need to finish them up then bond into the wing spar. During the week the plan will be to finish the incident plates and mask off the entire interior of the wing in preparation of applying the protective vanish prior to closing up the wing! Baby steps are beginning to turn into toddler steps Hahaha
IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3201.JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all,
Well I haven't been posting as frequently as there has been a lot of "visual progress" lately however there has been progress. Ive been working the last couple weeks on all the little things that kinda get lost in the shuffle in preparation of closing the wings up for good by installing the lower wing skins. Well both wings are completely varnished and we were able to skin the right wing this weekend! It was a great weekend! I'm currently waiting for a few more parts to arrive so I can make a small modification to the left hand wing skin. So hopefully I will be able to do that during the week and close up the left wing next weekend! That's the hopes anyhow!
As usual thanks for stopping by!
Mark
IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3236.JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all, Haven't posted lately but have been doing a lot of stuff in the shop. I can't get over all the tiny little things I need to get done before closing up the last skin in the wing. But its getting a lot closer and provided my work doesn't keep from it, I should be closing it up by the end of the weekend! Finished up some final plumbing, fitment, and should be finishing up the last of the wiring this evening then on to taping and masking tomorrow. Woohooo!
Thanks
Mark
IMG_3271[1].JPG IMG_3279[1].JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Well the progress continues! Reached a pretty big milestone in the project! We have finally closed the wing completely after installing the final wing skin! I still have a long way to go, but it certainly feels pretty good to have completed such a big milestone! Today I will remove all the staple strips and access the results. next step will be to cut the trailing edge and wing tip to proper size as well as install the leading edges. I hope to get that done this week. Then I'm on vacation for a week in Maine to get my FAA Certificate and tail wheel sign off. Once back from vacation it be back to it!
Thanks for stopping by!
Mark
IMG_3315[1].JPG IMG_3316[1].JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Staples are all out! That's a lot of staples! Hand is numb now! hahahaha Gave the wing a very in depth look over and I am very pleased with the results! You guys that are following are going to be happy to see me start something new in the next month when I finally get to the fuselage! If your anything like me, your probably getting tired of see my wing pics! HAHAHA
RIIO7384[1].JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all! Hopefully everyone is safe from this craziness that is going. I'm on company mandated self isolation for 14 days, because I was vacationing in Maine for a week. Which is kind of neat in a way, I get 14 days paid off to work on my airplane! Benn taking advantage of it and work 8-10 hrs a day in the shop. Got the leading edges installed, and while I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure, I'm starting in on the engine oil hoses, and breather assembly. I will be flipping the wing back onto the bench this afternoon to install the rear spar saddle plates, and front spar incidence plates. Also will be filling the skin with slow cure epoxy to fill all the staple holes. Then tomorrow will be spent on the opposite side doing the same thing. hoping that by the end of the weekend, that I will have the wing tips cut out, as well as the aileron cut outs. Lots of work to go, but have a good plan to move forward over the next week and a half!
Stay safe everyone!
Hose2.jpgHose.jpgIMG_3361[1].JPGIMG_3355[1].JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
The progress continues. I needed to radius the wing tips to match the drawing and I didn't feel that cutting the tip shape with a jig saw then sanding it with the aluminum plate that's sandwiched in there would be much fun so I built a "radius bar" of sorts for my router. Worked great. Now I'm sanding the tips down to match the wing. Things are coming together.
Thanks for stopping by and be careful out there!
Mark
IMG_3415.JPGIMG_3417.JPGIMG_3419.JPGIMG_3423.JPGDNCG6034.JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Got a few things done the past few days. Started fabricating the fuel tank straps, in preparation for mocking up the fuel system. Made a few carbon fiber custom sanding blocks to help with profiling the leading edge. Started on the profiling of the wing tips.
Thanks for stopping by!
MarkEPQR5126.JPGIMG_3431.JPGIMG_3432.JPGIMG_3437.JPGIMG_3439.JPGIMG_3443.JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Stay at home order still in place, however I am on call incase we have any aircraft movements pop up. So progress continues! I had one little incident with the epoxy exotherming a little quicker than I anticipated so before disaster struck I removed the fabric and started over. However this little hiccup left me short on fabric so I had to order more, so Ive been able to finish 3 out of the 4 wing panels. Replacement fabric I hope arrives tomorrow. As always stay safe out there and thanks for stopping by!
Mark
IMG_3460.JPGIMG_3459.JPGIMG_3457.JPGIMG_3461.JPG

Tantrum1

Log Member
Well progress is still moving forward. Still need to stress test the wing, I really hope to get that done in the next couple weeks, that way I know its good and can move on to fill, sanding, and painting the wing and putting it in the back shop to get onto the rest of the airplane! I took another attempt at the tank straps and am very pleased with how the turned out. as well as got the fuel system completed, behind the firewall and forward of the firewall.
Slow progress is still Progress right!?!?!? hahaha
As always thanks for stopping by!
Mark
IMG_3518.JPGIMG_3532.JPGIMG_3535.JPGIMG_3539.JPGIMG_3557.JPG