Smith AW1a Torch and Tips Questions

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Zoomzoooie, Jul 24, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1

Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie

I got a Smith AW1a handle, AW201, AW203, AW205 tips, HTP2 gauge set and the RA921 and the Kevlar hoses are ordered. After reading though the booklet, they show the AW200 tip for up to 1/32" and AW201 for 1/32"
    I called my supplier about a AW200 tip and they got back to me after talking with Smith saying it is discontinued.

I have a couple of questions:
    Is the AW201 tip ok for .028 wall?
    If so whats your settings?
    If not, what are you using?

Should I get arrestors and check valves to use with the AW1a?
    I have seen some mention they are not needed or will not work correctly with the low pressures used.

Also the AW1a handle is smaller then I expected. I'm finding holding it awkward with the knobs up front.
    How do you hold yours? Knobs up, down or to the side? If knobs up do you put your finger between the knobs?

ZZ

2. Jul 25, 2012 #2

millerdvr

millerdvr

millerdvr

Smith makes a darn fine torch. You will not be disappointed. Yes you can use the 201 tip for any of the thin wall tubing, just have to fuss with your pressures a bit, start with recommended pressures then you can dial them up or down to suit your style and speed, you will figure it out. Start in the middle of the psi range and that will get you started. Then you can adjust up or down a bit.
    I would recommend a check valve if you were doing cutting but since you are mostly just welding then there is no real danger in cutting the hose, if you choose to install check valves, always place them on the regulator side of your hoses, they will do nothing to prevent a back flash if they are on the torch side and your hose is cut.
    As for holding the torch, I find that the smith torch is easily held much like a pencil or an artists brush, let the weight of the valves and hose rest on the web of your hand between your thumb and forefinger, you will have much less fatigue and don't have to "grip" it constantly.
    Another word of advise is to always try to have a "rest" for your torch holding arm, like rest your elbow or shoulder against something, this will give you a nice solid and stable arm to do your welding with because you aren't trying to hold it up all the time, you will notice a big difference in your puddle control when you are comfortable and not straining to hold everything stable.

Good luck and enjoy,
    Chris

3. Aug 8, 2012 #3

Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie

Thanks for the advice Chris. Holding the torch like that feels so much better.

Now I have my hoses, I'm ready to get some tanks and get practicing, but I don't know what size I should get.
    I will be welding up the tail sections, rudder, stabilizer and elevator, landing gear and wing struts as well as few other small tabs and brackets. I might also make a new 7 gallon aluminum fuel tank or a smaller header tank and wing tanks.

I'll be renting O/A tanks and keep them only as long as I need them for the project.
    What size O/A tanks should I get?

ZZ

4. Aug 8, 2012 #4

JIC

JIC

JIC

The size of tanks I use are; Q for Oxygen and a WQ for Acetelyne. They are about 3ft high and small enough where you
    can move them around easily and last for quite awhile before you have to refill them.

jic

5. Jul 28, 2014 #5
    This floats some info on O/A welding torches back to the top.

6. Jul 28, 2014 #6

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Your choice...

I’ve seen a few pros who laugh at the whole arrester concept, but I use them (am a five-thumbed weekend hack – which is why I use `em…), and they will flow right down to my little Smith Little Torch which I’m sure uses a whole bunch less gas than my regular Victor-esque… I attach the Little Torch mini-hoses and keep on… usually flowing so little the gauges barely register if at all – just set it by flame, so I’m pretty confident it will work fine with an “aircraft” torch…

7. Sep 18, 2014 #7

thomasusa80

thomasusa80

thomasusa80

Thank you for your assistance Joe. Holding the actual torch that way can feel much better.

Now I've my personal tubes, I am willing to get some good tanks and obtain rehearsing, but When i do not know exactly what size I will find.
    I'll be welding in the tail portions, rudder, stabilizer in addition to elevator, clinching equipment in addition to mentoring struts and also several additional little navigation bars in addition to brackets. I'd personally furthermore complete a new 7 gallon lightweight aluminum energy fish tank or even a more compact header fish tank in addition to mentoring tanks.

I will be booking O/A tanks in addition to hold them just providing I need them for your venture.
    Precisely what size O/A tanks must i find?

[TD="width: 64"]_______Edwordstephen_______[/TD]