• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Similar powerplants, why such performance differences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBDan

I was at Martin Hollman's Aircraft Design website the other day and looking over some of the designs he's played a part in. He seems like quite a remarkable guy!

Then I started wondering

• Why the speed difference between the Stallion and the Lancair IV?
  • Why such a particuarlly large speed difference between the RV-10 and the Lancair IV?

I'm curious as to just how draggy each design is. So I started crunching numbers from website spec listings.
Code:
Super Stallon 192 kts       @ 12,500 ft,             300HP    Cruise %?
Lancair IV-P  286 kts (330 mph) @ 24,000 ft,     350HP    Cruise %?
Lancair ES    254 kts    (293 mph) @ 24,000 ft,     350HP    Cruise %?

RV-10           172 kts (197mph)  @  8,000 ft,    260HP     @ Cruise 75%    [URL="http://www.myrv10.com/files/engines/IO540/Lyc-540-Power.pdf"](195HP at 75%)[/URL], [URL="http://www.myrv10.com/tips/engine_IO540.html"]sourceorigin[/URL]
RV-10           192 kts (223mph)  @  ?        200HP DeltaHawk @ Cruise 75%

I'm still working on the numbers and realized the Stallion's numbers are in knots and the Lancairs' in mph (sneaky blokes), and the Lancairs are 350HP. Trying to get to some speed / horsepower for each frame at a given altitude, but just thought I'd post what I have so far and see what input you guys may have.

I'm just trying to get a rough idea at the speed differences, say within 5% or so of accuracy, ceteris paribus i.e. ruling out HP differences, altitude differences of the given cruise speeds, et al. And why the differences i.e. getting geeky on the aerodynamics.

If I had to shoot from the hip, I'd venture compared to the Lancair IP, the Stallion has greater skin friction drag due to the longer fuselage and greater form drag from the windshield.

Oh, another question: What on earth is flat plate drag area?
The Super STALLION has a flat plate drag area of 2.8 sq.ft. which is close to that of a Glasair III which can carry only two people
Specifications

The AR-5 has reported flatplate area of about .88 square foot

The only aspects of parasitic drag I know so far:

• form drag
  • interference drag
  • skin friction drag
So that's this flat plate drag area? Something under the umbrella of form drag?

Super STALLION
close to 200 knots with a 300 hp, IO-550-G
2,400 rpm normal ground speed at 12,500 ft is 193 kts while burning 14 gallons per hour
Stallion
Specifications

Lancair IV-P
TSIO-550, 350 h.p. @ 2600 rpm
Cruise 330 mph @ 24,000 ft. (typical)
Lancair Performance Aircraft

350 hp at 2,700 rpm, 300 kts
Lancair

Lancair ES

Stallion size wing and tail and the LIV fuselage
Lancair ES

TSIO-550-C, 350 h.p. @ 2600 rpm
270 mph @ 17500 (~235 knots)
293 mph @ 24,000 (typical) (~254 knots)
Lancair Performance Aircraft

RV 10 IO-540 (260HP?)
sm@75%, 197mph (195HP), sourceorigin
with DeltaHawkTD, 223mph
DeltaHawk Diesel Engines

Cruise [75% @ 8000 ft] 197 mph (~172 Knots)
Van's Aircraft - Aircraft Models: RV-10 Performance

Last edited:
Back