• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sidewinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Kiora

Kiora,
from the bottom of the land of the long white cloud, NZ (next stop Antarctica).

I'm a first time caller to anything on the internet, so please be gentle with me.
I've been reading the posts on this forum for some time now and have found some very interesting comments and suggestionsand helpful hints.

I have just finished building A Smyth Sidewinder, yet to be flown powered by a Leyland P76 V8 inverted auto engine. For our US members that an Australian built Buick Aluminium V8 of 4.4L capacity (268 C inch) direct drive ala Steve Wittman. I also EFI'd the engine using injectors from a honda, and a locally made computor. The engine runs very smoothly and delivers somewhere around 170 hp. So far I have clocked up 14 hours ground running without incident.
The engine weighs in at 319 lbs dry. Empty weight for the plane is 1079 lbs.

Registration has been approved by NZ Civil Aviation and after their inspection all that remains is some fine weather and a steady nerve.

I'll keep you posted

Bill

Last edited:
Back